Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, July 29, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attack - Georgia: The Georgia Department of Public Safety has suffered a ransomware attack, but the attack has not halted operations, according to an ABC News affiliate.
2. Ransomware Attack - Syracuse City School District: The ransomware attack that locked the Syracuse City School District's computer files and systems could cost the district up to $50,000, according to a statement from the district, CNY Central reports.
3. Banking Data Breach: National Australia Bank has begun contacting about 13,000 customers whose personal information was breached in violation of its data security policies, Bloomberg reports. Data including names, dates of birth and contact details were uploaded to the servers of two data service companies without authorization, the Melbourne-based lender said July 26.
4. Access Management - Epic Fail: Some former Deutsche Bank AG employees were able to access the bank’s email system for weeks after they were fired when the firm exited its equities trading business, Bloomberg reports.
5. Comodo Network Breach: A hacker gained access to internal files and documents owned by security company and SSL certificate issuer Comodo by using an email address and password mistakenly exposed on the internet, TechCrunch reports.
6. WannaCry Hero Avoids Prison: After committing computer crimes, hacker Marcus Hutchins will avoid prison time in the United States because he has "turned a corner," according to a judge in the case. He's perhaps best known for halting the spread of the WannaCry attack in 2017.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.