Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. University Pays Ransom: The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) paid hackers a $1.14 million extortion bounty after the university suffered a ransomware attack.
2. National Cybersecurity Czar: A bill with bipartisan Congressional support proposes create a national cyber-security czar who would report directly to the U.S. president, Compliance Week reports.
3. Tax Software and Malware: A previously uncharted malware, dubbed GoldenSpy, is embedded in tax payment software that a Chinese bank insists its corporate customers use to conduct business locally, a new report from Top 200 MSSP Trustwave said.
4. Sodinokibi (aka REvil) Ransomware: Attackers are targeting large healthcare, services and food chains using commodity malware to deliver payloads to targeted victims, Symantec reports.
B. Upcoming Cybersecurity Conferences
- List: Tech Conferences Canceled, Postponed or Online Only (Source: ChannelE2E)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar