Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 9 May 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. CISA Adds Cyber Fellows: The CISA Cyber Innovation Fellows Initiative enables cybersecurity professionals from the private sector to work side-by-side with its technical teams and contribute directly to the nation’s cyber defense. Accordingly, CISA has welcomed its first two Fellows to Team CISA, Chris Hughes, chief information security officer at Aquia, and Michelle Hook, head of Cyber Threat Intelligence for CLS International Bank.
2. Cybersecurity Partnership: CineSys is partnering with intelligent data security innovator Keyavi Data Corp. to solve the problem of data leaks within the media and entertainment industry. CineSys and Keyavi will provide studios and creatives full control over their creations with policy-based controls, such as user (who), geo-location (where), time (when), and more.
3. Industry Recognition: HYAS Infosec announced that globally recognized research institute AV-TEST GmbH has independently tested and confirmed that HYAS Protect provides the highest level of cybersecurity protection achieved to date by a Protective DNS solution.
4. Leadership Move: MSSP Abacus Group has appointed Stu Solomon as non-executive director. Solomon comes by way of Recorded Future, a global intelligence company, where he served as president. Solomon’s appointment follows Abacus Group’s acquisition in January of Gotham Security and its parent company, GoVanguard, two boutique cybersecurity consulting companies.
5. Partnership Announced: Waterfall Security Solutions, a specialist in operation technology (OT) security, and Atlantic Data Security, a cybersecurity solutions provider, have formed a partnership to protect data centers, as well as building automation systems and critical infrastructure facilities.
6.Funding Boost: Netwrix, a cybersecurity vendor, has received a strategic investment with Centerbridge Partners. TA Associates, a global private equity firm, remains the majority shareholder, with members of Netwrix’s senior management team and Updata Partners retaining minority positions in the business.
7. Product Launch: SafePaaS, a policy-based access governance platform provider, has debuted its Unified Privileged Access Management (UPAM) solution. The UPAM offering enables in-depth cyber mechanisms by allowing for the discovery, monitoring and control of access to privileged accounts, management for interactive privileged access, and just-in-time (JIT) privilege approaches.
8. Leadership Move: CyberFOX has hired Wes Spencer as vice president of Cybersecurity Strategy. Spencer was the co-founder and chief information security officer of Perch Security and was also held a leadership position at ConnectWise.
9. Funding Boost: Keeper Security, a provider of zero trust and zero knowledge cybersecurity software, announced that global growth equity firm Summit Partners has completed a significant minority investment in the company. With this investment, Len Ferrington, managing director at Summit Partners, will join the Keeper Security Board of Directors.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)