Black Hat 2021 Cybersecurity Conference Live Blog: MDR, XDR and MSSP Updates
The Black Hat USA 2021 conference generated plenty of cybersecurity, MSSP, MDR and XDR news. Here’s the chatter we heard from the event…
14. Vulnerability Management: Morphisec has released Morphisec Scout, a vulnerability management tool. The software automatically scans for vulnerabilities in network applications during runtime, and adds to Morphisec’s product line of threat prevention solutions, the company says.
13. Network Detection and Response (NDR): Corelight has launched Smart PCAP, which allows defenders to “capture just the packets needed for investigations and retrieve them with a single click from their SIEM,” the company says.
12. Open XDR: Hunters has enhanced its Open XDR platform to further position the software as an alternative for SIEM (security information and event management) software, the company asserts. The updates improve customers’ ability to “accelerate their incident detection, investigation and response,” Hunters asserts.
11. Talent – Application Security: The Application Security Division of NTT has hired Sonatype and BugCrowd veteran Vlad Nisic as vice president of sales, EMEA.
10. Partnerships – Security Operations: Arctic Wolf continues to strengthen and expand its partnerships with such organizations as Mimecast, SentinelOne, The Cisco Secure Technology Alliance, and the Microsoft Intelligent Security Association (MISA), the company says.
9. Endpoint Security: Syxsense Secure now includes the ability to scan, report and remediate security vulnerabilities with a single workflow. Also, Syxsense Cortex offers a visual drag-and-drop designer that “easily automates complex actions directly on the endpoint,” the company asserts.
8: Managed eXtended Detection and Response (MXDR): Optiv Security launched a Managed Extended Detection and Response (MXDR) service. The technology-independent offering “enables clients to take rapid and decisive action against today’s most critical cyberattacks and strengthen their security posture.” Devo has been named a foundational partner in Optiv MXDR.
6. XDR (eXtended Detection and Response) Alliance: Exabeam unveiled the XDR Alliance. The alliance seeks to “foster an open approach to XDR which is essential to enable organizations everywhere to protect themselves against the growing number of cyber attacks, breaches, and intrusions.” Alongside Exabeam, founding members include Armis, Expel, ExtraHop, Google Cloud Security, Mimecast, Netskope and SentinelOne.
5. Qualys: The company is demonstrating Cybersecurity Asset Management (CSAM) to help users detect security gaps and respond to risk. Also, Qualys is demonstrating Zero Touch Patch Management, which helps organizations to “proactively patch prioritized vulnerabilities with ‘intelligent’ automation – before attacks can exploit them,” the company asserts.
4. Application Security Testing: Sparrow Co. is introducing two solutions at the conference — Sparrow Cloud and Sparrow SCA. The first offers application security as a service by “performing static and dynamic analysis anytime and anywhere at minimum cost.” The second, Sparrow SCA, is an open-source management solution. Sparrow SCA “automatically identifies open-source software in use and detects security vulnerabilities in the source code and binary,” the company says.
3. Black Hat – XDR (eXtended Detection and Response Services): Secureworks will showcase its cloud-based products and services at the conference. For instance, the MSSP will demonstrate how Taegis XDR, Taegis VDR and threat intelligence can help organizations reduce the risks and consequences of a breach. Also, Secureworks will discuss a new Taegis XDR Adversary Software Coverage (ASC) tool. The new ASC tool allows users to interactively explore how Secureworks Taegis XDR maps coverage and countermeasures to the tactics and techniques used by over 500 adversarial software types against the MITRE ATT&CK framework, including ATT&CK v9, the MSSP says.
2. Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Services: CrowdStrike announced Falcon X Recon+, a new managed solution that “simplifies the process of hunting and mitigating external threats to brands, employees and sensitive data,” the company asserts.
1. More BlackHat News: Got news to share from the conference? Email me the details (Joe@AfterNines.com) and we’ll consider mentioning the details to our readers.
Blog originally posted August 2, 2021. Updated regularly thereafter.