Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 15 March 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Industry Recognition: KnowBe4, a security awareness training and simulated phishing platform provider, announced that it is a Diversity in Security award finalist for the Microsoft Security Excellence Awards. The organization was honored among a global field of industry leaders that demonstrated success across the security landscape during the past 12 months.
2. Product Launch: Palo Alto Networks has debuted new capabilities to boost its single-vendor SASE solution, enabling organizations to automate their increasingly complex IT and network operations center (NOC) functions. Additionally, the company announced features to secure Internet of Things and automate branch management. With new artificial intelligence-powered capabilities, organizations can confidently rely on Prisma SASE to generate better security outcomes and unlock operational efficiencies, the company said.
3. Award Winner: Tanium, a converged endpoint management (XEM) provider, announced that it has been named a winner of the 19th Annual 2023 Globee Cybersecurity Awards. The Tanium XEM platform was recognized as the Gold winner for Vulnerability Assessment, Remediation, and Management.
4. Service Integration: CyberGRX, a global risk exchange provider, has formed an integration with ServiceNow. Through this integration, ServiceNow Vendor Risk Management customers will have access to CyberGRX’s third-party risk data, enabling them to prioritize risk actions and maintain constant visibility on emerging third-party threats.
5. Partner Program Launched: Stellar Cyber has debuted its new STELLAR Partner Program to accelerate revenue for resellers of the Stellar Cyber Open XDR platform. The 5-STAR level is designed for partners that engage more deeply with Stellar Cyber and its Open XDR platform.
6. Leadership Moves: Ontinue, the managed detection and response (MDR) division of Open Systems, has hired Craig Jones and Gareth Lindahl-Wise as its vice president of Security Operations and chief information security officer (CISO), respectively.
7. New Malware Tracked: A new malware dubbed “GoBruteforcer” has been found targeting web servers running phpMyAdmin, MySQL, FTP, and Postgres to corral the devices into a botnet. “GoBruteforcer chose a Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) block for scanning the network during the attack, and it targeted all IP addresses within that CIDR range,” Palo Alto Networks Unit 42 researchers reported. (Source: The Hacker News)
8. Cybersecurity Research: New research from Kaspersky’s Digital Footprint Intelligence team reveals cybercriminals posted more than one million escrow service messages on the dark net from 2020-2022. Escrow agents assisting cybercriminals wanting to buy, sell data, services, or conclude a partnership fulfilled agreements reducing the risks of cheating to earn three to 15% per transaction.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) 2023 (March 16-18, Denver, Colorado)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)