Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 01 August 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to:
Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Executive Leadership – XDR: Anomali has hired former BT Deputy CISO and CSO Steve Benton has VP of Anomali Threat Research (ATR) and general manager of the Anomali Belfast, Ireland office.
2. Arrest – Nuclear System Cyberattacks: Spanish law enforcement officials arrested two individuals in connection with a cyberattack on the country’s radioactivity alert network (RAR), which took place between March and June 2021, The Hacker News reported.
3. NSO Group and Smartphone Spyware: Government hackers are likely using commercial spyware to breach phones belonging to US officials stationed around the world, the chairman of the House intelligence committee said, according to Bloomberg. Reports last year that attackers infiltrated the phones of US diplomats in Uganda using a kind of spyware known as Pegasus, developed by the Israeli vendor NSO Group, provide only a hint of the scale of the issue, the testimony asserted.
4. Spying Software – DSIRF Subzero: DSIRF says its Subzero spying tool was for official use only in European Union states, but Microsoft claims DSIRF deployed the spyware at an unspecified number of unidentified banks, law firms and strategic consultancies, Reuters reported. DSIRF denied Microsoft’s claims.
5. Check Point Financial Results: Check Point Software‘s revenue was $571 million in Q2 of 2022, up 9% compared to Q2 of 2021. GAAP net income was $174 million, down from $186 million in Q2 of 2021.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Black Hat USA (August 6-11, Las Vegas)
- Defcon 30 (August 11-14, Las Vegas)
- Gartner Identity and Access Management Summit 2022 (August 22-24, Las Vegas)
- Blue Team Con 2022 (August 27-28, Chicago)
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld 2022 (September 13-15, Denver, Colorado)
- Join Us: MSSP Alert Live (September 19-21, Washington, D.C.)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar