Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 28 March 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Industry Recognition: IONIX, formerly Cyberpion, has been named a leader and is projected to be among the top five attack surface management vendors within the next 12–18 months, according to the GigaOm Radar Report for Attack Surface Management. The report cites IONIX’s ASM platform as a fast mover and exceptional in several key criteria.
2. Cybersecurity Research: Qualys Inc., a provider of cloud-based IT, security and compliance solutions, has released its 2023 TruRisk Research Report. The report identifies the global number of vulnerabilities detected by Qualys in 2022 – upwards of 2.3 billion. (Source: Seeking Alpha)
3. Malware Alert: Kaspersky researchers have discovered an ongoing disruptive cryptocurrency theft campaign affecting more than 15,000 users across 52 countries. Distributed under the guise of Tor Browser, the malware operates by replacing a portion of the entered clipboard contents with the cybercriminal’s own wallet address once it detects a wallet address in the clipboard. It is estimated that cybercriminals have been able to steal approximately $400,000 using this malware during 2023.
4. Cybersecurity Research: BackBox has released the results of its “2023 Network Operations and Security Survey,” conducted by Wakefield Research. The results show the frustration felt by IT professionals due to the increase in network update velocity and tech stack sprawl, a lack of support from leadership, along with disagreements and concerns around the approach to fixing network issues.
5. Leadership Move: Deep Instinct announced that Ed Carter has joined the company as chief revenue officer. In this role, Carter will drive Deep Instinct’s growth and expansion with enterprise customers, technology and channel partners, and MSSPs.
6. Company Rebrand: Reciprocity is rebranding to RiskOptics to usher in a new era of cyber risk management dedicated to helping chief information security officers turn risk into a strategic business asset. Also, the company has launched the next generation of its Risk Observation, Assessment and Remediation (ROAR) Platform.
7. Acquisition Announced: Stefanini Group has acquired cybersecurity firm Safeway Consultancy. Stefanini Group strengthens its role in the global cybersecurity market as Safeway joins Cyber Smart Defense, and Stefanini Rafael, a joint venture with RAFAEL, an Israeli technology company focused on military security.
8. Funding Boost: Right-Hand Cybersecurity announced its successful $5M million Series A funding led by former PayPal executive Jack Selby and his venture capital firm AZ-VC. Right-Hand will expand its operations across the U.S. and Asia-Pacific while investing heavily in its Human Risk Management platform.
9. Spyware Attack: At least 50 U.S. government staffers stationed in 10 countries have been targeted with spyware, a senior administration official said. Correspondingly, President Biden signed an executive order on March 27 to curb the malicious use of digital spy tools around the globe that target U.S. personnel and civil society. (Source: Reuters)
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco, California)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)