Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Monday, August 7, 2017:
10. Security Funding: SunTx Capital Partners and Prudential Capital Partners have invested $125 million of growth equity into Interface Security Systems as part of a $600 million refinancing. Interface provides network, physical security and business intelligence services over a cloud-based network. The company has key customers across the retail, hospitality, and restaurant verticals.
9. Ships & High Seas Hackers: The risk of cyberattacks targeting ships' satellite navigation is pushing nations to delve back through history and develop back-up systems with roots in World War II radio technology, according to Reuters. That's quite ironic, considering some nations are developing autonomous ship management systems that requite no crews to navigate from port to port.
8. Stock Trading App Security: Most Android stock trading apps in Hong Kong are rife with security risks, according to a study led by Hong Kong’s Mobile Security Research Lab. The study tested and evaluated 140 selected Android stock trade mobile apps (STMAs), We're poking around to see if there are similar studies in place for U.S.-based stock trading mobile apps...
7. UCLA Breach: A cyberattack on a UCLA administration server potentially breached the personal information of about 32,000 students earlier this month, UCLA officials said.
6. Hacker Bail: A US judge has set bail of $30,000 for Marcus Hutchins, a well-known British cybersecurity researcher accused of creating and distributing software designed to steal online banking credentials and credit card information.
5. Drone Security: The U.S. army has ordered service members to stop using DJI drones because the China-made drones have potential cybersecurity weaknesses...
4, Amazon AWS Security: Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) has an FAQ that politely reminds customers how to secure their S3 accounts. The FAQ reminder comes after several Amazon AWS customers left data wide open to potential hackers.
3. DDoS Attack for the Record Books: A 277-hour DDoS attack against a Chinese telecom company in Q2 2017 is the longest such attack on record, according to Kaspersky Lab. It beat the previous record by more than 135 hours...
2. Microsoft Office 365 Data Breach: Microsoft has fixed an Office 365 hole that briefly allowed administrators to see usage data from other tenants.
1. MSSP Partnering: Fortinet is calling on customers to lean more heavily on MSSPs to address cybersecurity and overcome the cyber skills talent shortage. In other words, Fortinet took the words right out of our mouth.