Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, security operations centers as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), eXtended detection and response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cybersecurity Partnership: Perimeter 81, zero trust networking access (ZTNA) specialist, has partnered with AVANT, a platform for IT decision-making and technology services distributor. The partnership gives Perimeter 81 access to an array of new partners to quickly scale and strengthen its global presence and bolster AVANT’s portfolio of offerings.
2. University Honored: University of Phoenix has received the EC-Council 2022 Academia Circle of Excellence Award for the fourth consecutive year. The EC-Council Academia division awards highlight academic institutions and faculty that make lasting impacts on their students' cybersecurity education and local communities.
3. Security Tips for Small Businesses: Consolidated Communications, a broadband and business communications provider, is sharing resources and tips for small businesses to enhance data privacy, as these organizations are proven to be especially vulnerable to costly data breaches.
4. Industry Certification: Aptum, a hybrid multi-cloud managed service provider (MSP), has been recognized by Microsoft as an Azure Expert MSP. This designation identifies Aptum as a qualified global partner to deliver Azure solutions to customers.
5. MSP Podcast Launched: Managed service providers have a new source of practical business-building advice with the launch of the Workflow for MSPs podcast from Syncro. The podcast explores the ways MSPs can bring balance and ease to all aspects of their tech business. The goal is to help MSPs reach their success goals while minimizing stress and strain. The first three episodes are now available.
6. World Economic Forum Talks Cybersecurity: Organizations must adopt a multi-pronged approach involving new strategies and tactics to address the growing global shortage of cybersecurity professionals, according to CompTIA. The world's cyber workforce was among the issues discussed during the recent Cyber Future Dialogue 2023 in Davos, Switzerland.
7. Malware Alert: ESET researchers have identified a specific type of malware called SwiftSlicer deployed in recent attacks against Ukrainian targets. SwiftSlicer targets critical Windows operating system files and Active Directory (AD) databases. Based on the team's findings, the malware can destroy operating system resources and cripple entire Windows domains. (Source: TechSpot)
8. Educational Partnership: Ferris State University is partnering with the National Security Agency (NSA) to prepare students for careers in space cybersecurity, data analytics, database management and artificial intelligence. The university has signed a five-year Education Partnership Agreement with the NSA to help boost the university’s science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programming to develop the talent and tools for protecting national security. (Source: MLive)
9. Cyberattack Reported: British sportswear chain JD Sports reports that stored data relating to 10 million customers might be at risk after it was hit by a cyberattack. The company said information that "may have been accessed" by hackers included names, addresses, email accounts, phone numbers, order details and the final four digits of bank cards. The data related to online orders between November 2018 and October 2020. JD Sports said it was contacting affected customers. (Source: BBC News)