Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
2. M&A - Anti-Phishing: Mimecast has acquired Segasec, a cybersecurity software provider that protects against fake websites, phishing scams, credential harvesting and impersonation attempts on the Web.
3. M&A - Cybersecurity: Broadcom has acquired Bay Dynamics. The move boosts Broadcom's Symantec enterprise unit with cyber risk analytics software.
4. Funding - Secure Coding: Secure Code Warrior has received Series B funding led by Goldman Sachs, with additional capital from ForgePoint Capital and Cisco Investments. Secure Code Warrior is an Application Security vendor that uses gamification techniques to train developers to write secure code.
5. Multiple Ransomware Attacks: The latest hits and recovery efforts include:
- Roughly 26 community libraries in Conta Costa County, California, have suffered a ransomware attack, an ABC News affiliate reports.
- Richmond Community Schools closed last week to recover from a ransomware attack that affected telephones, copiers and classroom technology, a CBS News affiliate reports.
- Enloe Medical Center in Chico, California, was attacked in a ransomware incident Thursday evening, January 2, The Enterprise Record reports.
- The city of Seal Beach, California, suffered a ransomware attack on December 24, the municipality disclosed on December 31, 2019, the Sun News reports.
- Maastricht University (UM) announced that almost all of its Windows systems were encrypted by ransomware following a cyberattack that took place December 23, BleepingComputer reports.
- Three weeks after the City of New Orleans suffered a ransomware attack, the city expects to restore police and court networks t0day (Monday, January 6).
6. Email Scam Costs Town $1 Million: The Colorado Town of Erie lost more than $1 million to a business email compromise scam (BEC) that ended with the town's employees sending the funds to a bank account controlled by scammers, BleepingComputer reports.
7. Data Breach - Accounting Firm: Moss Adams, one of the largest public accounting firms in the United States, has disclosed a data breach that exposed highly sensitive customer personally identifiable information (PII), TechNadu says.
8. Data Breach - Landry Restaurants: Landry’s says more than 60 of its restaurants may have been affected by payment processing system malware, Threatpost reports.
9. Microsoft vs. North Korea: Microsoft has taken legal action against a North Korean-based cybercrime group that was using websites and other domains to attack individuals and companies in the U.S., South Korea and Japan, The Hill reports.
10. Iran vs. U.S. Cyberattacks?: Rising tensions between the United States and Iran could inspire Iran to launch cyberattacks against U.S. infrastructure, The U.S. Department of Homeland Security warns.
11. U.S. Cyberattack Strategy: In his three years in office, President Trump has overseen an escalation in the U.S. military’s deployment of cyber weapons as a way to engage forcefully with adversaries around the globe without provoking all-out war, The Wall Street Journal reports. But the White House hasn’t made the same effort to inform Congress and the public about its rules for using these new cyber capabilities, lawmakers and experts say, prompting a bipartisan push to demand more transparency from the administration, The Journal reports.
12. Legislation - Cyber Tool Exports: Newly passed legislation will push the U.S. State Department to disclose how it polices the sale of cyber tools and services abroad, Reuters reports.
13. Legislation - Data Breach Notification Laws: Three states have launched new data breach notification laws..
14. Cybersecurity Salaries: Nearly half of cybersecurity professionals earn less than $50,000 per year, according to Cynet.
B. MSSP Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Certification Program: CyberGuard360 has launched S.A.F.E., a certification program to help businesses to identify vendors, suppliers and other partners that take cybersecurity seriously.
2. Talent: Kaspersky has named Rob Cataldo as managing director of Kaspersky North America. He previously was vice president of enterprise sales at the cybersecurity software provider.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.