Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 26 April 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Funding Boost: Cyber resilience platform provider Halcyon has closed a $50M Series A funding round led by SYN Ventures with additional investment from Dell Technologies Capital, Corner Capital, and other strategic investors. The funding will accelerate the development and adoption of the Halcyon cyber resilience platform, designed to defeat ransomware and extortion campaigns, the company said.
2. Company Acquisition: Lookout, an endpoint-to-cloud security provider, has entered into an agreement to sell its consumer mobile security business to F-Secure, a global provider of consumer security products and services. With this transaction, Lookout’s core business will now evolve into a pure-play enterprise company.
3. Malware Alert: A financially-motivated North Korean threat actor is suspected to be behind a new Apple macOS malware strain called RustBucket. The malware is reportedly attributed to a threat actor known as BlueNoroff, a subgroup within the infamous Lazarus cluster that’s also tracked under the monikers APT28, Nickel Gladstone, Sapphire Sleet, Stardust Chollima, and TA444. (Source: The Hacker News)
4. Industry Recognition: BlueVoyant announced that it has won the Security MSSP of the Year award in the Microsoft Security Excellence Awards 2023.
5. Leadership Move: MSSP Abacus Group has appointed Jonathan Shapiro as its first chief revenue 0fficer. Shapiro has more than 20 years of experience in strategic leadership roles across the asset management, mutual funds, banking and software sectors, the company said.
6. Cybersecurity Research: (ISC)², a nonprofit association of certified cybersecurity professionals, and the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), the world’s oldest independent think tank on international defense and security, has released a new research report titled “Global Approaches to Cyber Policy, Legislation and Regulation.” Findings from the report reveal that as cybersecurity policies and regulations evolve rapidly around the world, the call for greater standardization and collaboration is necessary to ensure stronger and more resilient frameworks to support shared learning and best practices.
7: Product Launch: Clever, the platform powering digital learning for more than 75% of U.S. K-12 schools, has unveiled its new service, Clever MFA+. Designed to help school districts facing a growing number of cybersecurity incidents, Clever’s new offering protects sensitive data by providing a dual layer of authentication that’s easy for administrators and educators to use.
8. Cybersecurity Partnership: Delt, a U.K.-based shared services provider, has joined forces with Reliance Cyber to deliver robust cybersecurity services to public sector organizations. Delt’s partnership with Reliance Cyber aims to strengthen the defenses of public sector entities by providing always-on security services that safeguard them against the increasing number and complexity of cyberattacks, the companies said.
9. Leadership Moves: Barracuda Networks has hired Maria Martinez as vice president of Channels, Americas, and promoted Karen Ward to vice president of MSP Sales, Americas. Martinez brings more than 20 years of channel experience, while Ward has been with Barracuda’s MSP business unit for more than six years.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco, California)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)