Cylance, a company that specializes in artificial intelligence-based threat detection and prevention, has launched a virtual chief information security officer (vCISO) service.
The vCISO service provides technology and security resources to support next-generation security architecture and augment an organization's security staff, according to a prepared statement.
The formalized vCISO effort emerges just as many mainstream MSPs seek to extend their traditional vCIO services into the security sector.
What Are vCISO Services?
Cylance's vCISO services make cybersecurity experts available to organizations that require security expertise and guidance. They offer a variety of benefits, including:
- Cost Savings: vCISO services often provide economical alternatives to organizations that cannot afford to hire a full-time CISO.
- Cybersecurity Talent: vCISO services help organizations address the global cybersecurity skills shortage.
- Customization: vCISO services can be customized to ensure an organization can minimize the risk of cyberattacks and comply with data security mandates.
- Flexibility: vCISO services typically are scalable based on an organization's security tools and budget.
- Security Insights: vCISO services provide both strategic and operational security insights.
As global organizations search for ways to improve their security strategies without significant time and resource investments, the demand for vCISO services may increase accordingly.
Which Cybersecurity Companies Offer vCISO Services?
In addition to Cylance, several cybersecurity companies currently offer vCISO services, including:
- Optiv Security: Provides an organization with access to a cybersecurity advisor who helps it develop an information security strategy and align its security program with its business priorities.
- Rapid7: Helps an organization develop and execute a cybersecurity strategy that aligns with its operating strategy.
- Synoptek: Enables an organization to work with a cybersecurity leader to plan, define and execute a custom security strategy.
MSSPs can add vCISO services to their portfolios, too. By offering vCISO services, MSSPs can empower organizations of all sizes with the ability to defend against cyberattacks, safeguard sensitive data and develop a long-term cybersecurity strategy.
The new services emerge just as BlackBerry works to finalize its $1.4 billion buyout of Cylance, which was announced in November 2018.