Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Thursday, May 30.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Dark Web Monitoring - MSP Service: Vology, an MSP with cloud and cybersecurity expertise, has expanded its cybersecurity solutions suite to include dark web monitoring services. The service connects to multiple Dark Web information sources -- including TOR, I2P and Freenet, to search for compromised credentials, without requiring end-customers to directly connect to these high-risk services. Related: The market for such services appears strong -- prompting Kaseya to recently acquire ID Agent, a fast-growing dark web monitoring and threat intelligence startup that's MSP-friendly.
2. Security Benchmarking & ServiceNow: SecurityScorecard for IT Service Management is now certified and available is the ServiceNow Store. Companies use SecurityScorecard to measure and communicate cybersecurity risk posture to executive leadership, conduct peer and competitor benchmarking and gain visibility into the underwriting process for cyber insurance policy negotiation, the company asserts.
3. IPO - Endpoint Security: New details about CrowdStrike's IPO plan, potential valuation and target raise have surfaced.
4. Funding - SOAR: Swimlane, a provider of security orchestration, automation and response (SOAR) technology, has raised an additional $23 million of a Series B financing round from Energy Impact Partners (EIP), a utility-backed energy investment and innovation firm.
5. Small Business Cyber Insurance: CyberPolicy, a marketplace to help small and midsize businesses (SMBs) compare, quote, and buy cyber insurance online, has released CyberPolicy Genesis. The subscription service bundles cybersecurity protection with cyber insurance coverage options. Services include dark web monitoring, password management, secure document storage, VPN, and cybersecurity awareness training.
6. Financial Results - Palo Alto Networks: The cybersecurity technology company announced Q3 fiscal 2019 results. The metrics include:
- Revenues of $726.6 million, up 28 percent from the corresponding quarter last year.
- Net loss of $20.2 million, smaller than the net loss of $40.4 million in Q3 fiscal 2018.
The figures generally beat Wall Street's expectations, but the company's stock fell about 7.8 percent in after-hours trading amid a weaker-than-expected forecast from the company. Also, rumors are swirling that Palo Alto Networks has acquired TwistLock, though an official announcement has not surfaced.
7. Cyber Suite: Palo Alto Networks has unveiled Prisma, a "cloud security suite designed to help its customers lead a more secure digital life," the company says. The suite's four components address access; multi-cloud security monitoring; cloud access security brokerage capabilities; and VM versions of the company's firewalls.
10. Email Security Trends: What's the true state of email security? Mimecast's latest research results are here.
11. Talent: ServerCentral Turing Group (SCTG), a managed IT infrastructure service provider, has hired Thomas Johnson as Chief Information Security Officer (CISO). Johnson is an adjunct professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology in its Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics department. Earlier, he was a security consultant at Peters and Associates, and CISO at Metropolitan Bank Group, which is now Byline Bank.
12. HIPAA Fine: Medical Informatics Engineering Inc. (MIE), a software and medical records services company, has paid a $100,000 fine to address a HIPAA violation.
B. Cybersecurity & MSSP Partner Programs
1. IoT: ReFirm Labs, a provider of IoT and firmware security solutions, has launched a global certified partner program for its flagship Centrifuge Platform. The program is designed for MSSPs, solution partners and VARs. Founding partners include Systex Corp, Soliton Systems and emt Distribution.
2. Updates Welcome: Got something to share? Send me your partner program updates – [email protected].
3. All Partner Programs: Visit the ChannelE2E Partner Programs Database to see and search through hundreds of partner programs.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Objective By the Sea 2019 – Apple Mac Security Conference (June 1-2)
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite19 (June 3-6)
- Carbon Black Connect 2019 (June 3-5)
- Join Us: Security Operations Centers: Build or Partner? (Webcast– June 6)
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit (June 17-19)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
That’s what’s on our radar for today. Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.