Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global MSSP (managed security services provider) ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Thursday, May 25, 2017:
7. Artificial Intelligence: Cylance has delivered an artificial-intelligence driven endpoint detection and response solution. We'll share more details soon.
6. HIPAA Fine: Mount Sinai at Saint Luke has agreed to pay a $387,000 HIPAA settlement involving the careless disclosure of HIV status, according to Becker's Health IT and CIO Review.
5. Remember That Big Retail Breach?: Target will pay a $18.5 million fine to 47 states and the District of Columbia as part of a settlement with state attorneys general over a huge 2013 security breach that compromised the data of millions of customers, The New York Times reported. What's the MSP spin? MJ Shoer offers it here.
4. Government Cybersecurity Audit: West Virginia Governor Jim Justice has directed the state's Board of Risk and Insurance Management to take steps to protect personally identifiable information collected and kept by state agencies, including health information required by law to be kept private, according to Associated Press. In an executive order, Justice also directed the West Virginia Office of Technology to conduct risk management oversight to ensure cybersecurity of electronic records, the report said.
3. International Cybersecurity: India is set to enter into cybersecurity arrangements with Germany and Spain — with a view to combat online crimes including ransomware type situations as well as terrorism — during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's back-to-back visits to Berlin and Madrid next week, Economic Times reported.
2. Talent: Mosaic451, a cybersecurity services provider and consultancy, has named Air Force Cyber Operations veteran Christopher C. McDaniels as its new chief information security officer (CISO). McDaniels will work across all mission areas of the company to develop a proactive cybersecurity program for both Mosaic451 and its customers, the company said. He'll also drive standard operating procedures reinforced by a rigorous training program, Mosaic451 added.
1. MSP Security Opportunities, Challenges: During a meeting with MSSP Alert, multiple partners at this week's Ingram Micro TrustX Alliance conference in Orlando describe the opportunities and challenges ahead. Stay tuned for views and perspectives from Baroan Technologies' Guy Baroan, The Fulcrum Group's Steve Meek, iteam's James Wagner and Ingram's Eric Kohl. We'll share the details later today. Join Us: Kohl also will be a guest speaker on ChannelE2E's MSP-to-MSSP Webcast, which is set for June 15.