Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global MSSP (managed security services provider) ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, May 31, 2017:
6. Apple iPhone Security?: Apple has released a trio of new video ads in its "Switch" series, aimed at persuading Android users to make the leap to an iPhone, AppleInsider noted. One of the ads asserts that rival devices are more vulnerable to data theft... Hmmm.Video link
Simple message -- but is it accurate? Hmmm... Sometimes timing is everything. Check out item 5 below.
5. Judy Malware Infects Android: Millions of Android devices have been infected by a new strain of malware dubbed Judy, which automatically taps on intrusive pop-up adverts on the users smartphone, Silicon UK reports. The malware was uncovered by cybersecurity firm Check Point, which found the adware on 41 apps on Google Play developed by a Korean company.
4. Office 365 Security: Identillect Technologies has launched a Delivery Trust plugin for Microsoft Office 365. The cloud-based tool provides regulatory compliance and threat protection for Office 365 customers, the company claims.
3. Talent - Boardroom: Amazon Web Services veteran Peter Cohen has joined Fortinet's board. Cohen, a founding member of the AWS business, is now co-founder of Xendota, a next generation cloud company. Fortinet develops firewalls, application and cloud security products.
2. Funding - Endpoint Security: CounterTack, which develops an endpoint threat platform (ETP) for enterprises, has raised $20 million in Series D funding. The company's emerging partner program includes big names like Optiv and Trustwave.
1. Talent - Channel Leaders: SonicWall has hired Michael Berg as senior director of channel sales with a focus on Europe. I believe he reports to Channel Chief Steve Pataky. Berg previously was channel director at encrypted communications firm Silent Circle, and VP of project management at IT distributor ASBISc Enterprises PLC. Earlier, he spent more than a decade at Tech Data. SonicWall, now owned by a private equity firm, is focused 100 percent on partner sales, and has been developing MSP- and MSSP-centric channel offerings (see February Part III here).