Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, August 23, 2017:
5. DDoS Attacks Rising Again: The number of DDoS attacks in Q2 increased by 28 percent quarter over quarter following three quarters of decline, an Akamai research report says. Moreover, DDoS attackers are more persistent than ever, attacking targets an average of 32 times over the quarter. One gaming company was attacked 558 times or approximately six times a day on average, the company said.
4. Cyberattack Deja Vu: An average of 40 percent of organizations experienced five or more significant security incidents in the past 12 months, according to recent IDG and RiskIQ research. Among most cited external threats: malware, ransomware, phishing, domain and brand abuse, online scams, rogue mobile apps, and social impersonation, the research found. Further complicating matters, 68 percent of respondents expressed no to modest confidence to manage digital threats. Also, 70 percent of respondents have no to modest confidence in reducing their digital attack surface, expressing the least confidence in threats against web, brand, and ecosystem assessment, RiskIQ indicated.
3. Government Security Concerns: Fully 72% of Government Entities Worldwide had their Security Compromised in 2016, a new Netwrix survey finds. Even worse, 75% of government entities do not have any visibility into BYOD, 67% lack insight into shadow IT, and 60% have no visibility into their cloud infrastructures, the report found. Not by coincidence: Netwrix is seeking security-minded MSPs to support government customers...
2. MSP Security Automation: NinjaRMM and Webroot have expanded their partnership and MSP software integration. Specifically, Ninja is integrating Webroot's SecureAnywhere DNS Protection web-filtering capabilities into the NinjaRMM platform for MSPs. We'll share some more details soon about Ninja's recent market momentum via our sister site, ChannelE2E.
1. MSSP Acquired: StorTech has acquired the GRCBizassurance (GRC) Security Consulting team. The move extends StorTech into South Africa's managed security services provider (MSSP) market. The two companies had been working together since 2016. We'll share more details on MSSP Alert later today.