Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, September 27, 2017:
9. This Just In: ForeScout Technologies and CyberArk are partnering to promote ForeScout Extended Module for CyberArk. The offering "provides deep enterprise security capabilities to improve visibility and insight into privileged accounts on previously unknown devices, enforce greater security controls, and automate threat detection and response," the two companies say.
8. SEC Hack Timeline: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission told government cybersecurity officials about a hack into its database of corporate filings soon after it happened in 2016, months before the agency’s new chairman made the breach public, Bloomberg reports. That timeline has been under the microscope as investors and regulators openly wonder if the SEC's cybersecurity stance is strong enough.
7. Kaspersky Lab Briefing: The House Science Committee received a classified briefing Tuesday related to Kaspersky Lab, according to Bloomberg. However, sources did not reveal details of the discussion. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security recently banned Kaspersky's security software from federal networks, alleging that Kaspersky could have ties to Russia's government. Kaspersky has denied the claims and the U.S. government has not publicly disclosed any specific evidence against the company.
6. Fast Food Data Breach: Sonic Drive-in, the fast-food chain, has acknowledged a breach affecting an unknown number of store payment card systems, KrebsOnSecurity reports.
3. M&A: Google has acquired Bitium, which specializes in identity and access management (IAM) solutions. We'll share more details soon.
2. Ominous Hacker Warning: Greece’s central bank dismissed claims by hacking group Anonymous that it had accessed confidential internal files, saying on Wednesday the material was already in the public domain, according to Reuters. But there could be more to the story: Anonymous responded by warning that it was merely testing out the bank’s defenses and could step up its attack, Reuters added.
1. Top 100 MSSPs: We'll unveil the Top 100 Managed Security Services Providers list and research tomorrow (Thursday, Sept. 28) during our webcast. Register here to join us. We'll cover the entire list and key trends during the webcast.