Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Leadership Move: Cybersecurity company Axio has announced three key additions. Felipe Bayón joins Axio as a special advisor to help bolster the company’s leadership position in the energy, manufacturing and infrastructure industries, specifically emerging markets. Peter Armstrong joins as senior vice president of risk engineering and risk capital. Alfredo Narez joins as senior vice president/head of marketing to drive the company’s go-to-market strategy.
2. Partner Program Debuts: Torq, a security hyper-automation specialist, has launched the Torq Partner Acceleration Program, which breaks free from old-school partner models and constraints to deliver the highest guaranteed-margin opportunities possible, the company said.
3. Product Launch: CSC has launched its new Domaincasting digital blocking network — a complement to its current Enforcement services. Using global intelligence from its network of partners, CSC helps organizations block and take down domains that are taking advantage of their trusted brands to commit fraud.
4. Funding Boost: Action1 Corporation, a risk-based patch management platform provider, announced plans to invest $20 million to close the gap for continuous remediation of security vulnerabilities on endpoints within distributed networks. The company plans to allocate funds for R&D, focusing specifically on implementing a zero knowledge architecture into its platform.
5. Cybersecurity Training: ACI Learning has launched CyberSkills, a cybersecurity awareness training platform, which covers everything from password security, phishing scams, malware prevention and network safety. CyberSkills is the latest in an expansive suite of audit, cybersecurity and IT training solutions known for being fun, engaging and easy-to-follow, keeping employees motivated and attentive throughout the learning process, the company said.
6. Hacker Alert: Hackers launched an elaborate but likely unsuccessful campaign to deceive cybersecurity professionals on the code hosting platform GitHub and trick them into downloading malware, according to research published this week. The group created fake profiles of real security researchers to promote code repositories that appear to house exploits for popular products like Chrome, Exchange and Discord. (Source: The Record)
7. Russian Arraigned on Cybercrime Charges: The U.S. Justice Department has announced charges against a Russian national for his involvement in deploying numerous LockBit ransomware and other cyberattacks against victim computer systems in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa. The suspect is identified as Ruslan Magomedovich Astamirov, 20, of Chechen Republic, Russia. “This LockBit-related arrest, the second in six months, underscores the Justice Department’s unwavering commitment to hold ransomware actors accountable,” said Deputy Attorney General Lisa O. Monaco.
8. Russia-Ukraine Cyber War: The names and company profiles of dozens of victims of a global mass hack have been published by a cybercrime gang holding their stolen data to ransom. On Wednesday, the hacker group Cl0P began posting names of firms to its website on the darknet. Twenty-six organizations including banks and universities have been added to try to pressure victims into paying. U.S. federal bodies have also been targeted. (Source: BBC)
9. Safe Notary Advancement: OneSpan, a digital agreements security company, announced expanded features for OneSpan Notary, a solution that enables organizations to transform the way notaries and customers complete agreements and notarize documents in a secure and trusted environment. These new capabilities will now support Remote Online Notarization (RON) identity-proofing requirements to securely identify signers unknown to the notary.
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)