Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS); managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cyberattack Reported: PJ&A (Perry Johnson & Associates) is warning that a cyberattack in March 2023 exposed the personal information of almost nine million patients. PJ&A provides medical transcription services to healthcare organizations in the United States. The company said the threat actors breached their network and had access between March 27 and May 2, 2023. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
2. Product Launch: Open Systems, a secure access experience solution provider, has launched its Secure Web Gateway as a service offering. Open Systems Secure Web Gateway is a cloud-based web security solution that combines advanced threat protection, secure access controls and intelligent web filtering to provide organizations with a productive web browsing experience, the company said.
3. Security Partnership: The Government of Malaysia and BlackBerry Limited have announced a long-term software and services agreement to strengthen the country's cybersecurity posture. The deal will enable the Malaysian government to leverage the full suite of BlackBerry cybersecurity solutions and support the integrity of the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) while upskilling the nation's workforce with advanced cybersecurity technology and training.
4. AppSec Security Program Launch: Contrast Security has launched its new certification program for resellers, service providers, systems integrators, distributors and technology partners. The program is designed to empower it's partners with the knowledge and expertise needed to deliver the highest level of application security (AppSec) to its customers, Contrast said.
5. CISA Releases Guidance for Healthcare Industry: The Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released the Mitigation Guide: Healthcare and Public Health (HPH) Sector as a supplemental companion to the HPH Cyber Risk Summary, published July 19, 2023. This guide provides defensive mitigation strategy recommendations and best practices to combat pervasive cyber threats affecting this critical infrastructure sector. It also identifies known vulnerabilities for organizations to assess their networks and minimize risks before intrusions occur. For more information and resources, check out CISA’s Healthcare and Public Health Cybersecurity Toolkit and Healthcare and Public Health Sector webpages.
6. Hacker Alert: The FBI is warning organizations to guard against the Scattered Spider hacking group, which has breached dozens of American organizations over the past year, stealing their sensitive data for extortion. The FBI alert follows a report that said the agency had struggled to stop these hackers, which are known to be skilled at using fake profiles and impersonations to trick a victim organization's help desk into giving them access. (Source: Reuters)
7. Ransomware Attack: Toyota Financial Services, a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation, reports that it detected unauthorized access on some of its systems in Europe and Africa after Medusa ransomware claimed an attack on the company. The Medusa ransomware gang demanded a payment of $8 million to delete data allegedly stolen from the company. (Source: Bleeping Computer)