Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Leadership Move: Resecurity has appointed Shawn Loveland as its chief operating officer. With a track record of over 35 years in technology and cybersecurity, Loveland brings extensive experience and expertise to the Resecurity team. While at Microsoft, he focused on applied research and dark web intelligence, an invaluable addition to the company.
2. Industry Recognition: Seraphic Security, a specialist in enterprise browser security, has been named a Gold Winner in three categories in the 18th Annual 2023 Globee Information Technology Awards. Seraphic Security received Gold in the Startup Achievement of the Year–Security Cloud/SaaS, Zero Day–Attack & Exploit Detection & Prevention, and Email & Web Security categories.
3. Cybersecurity Grads Move on to Careers: Cyber Nations, a global program focused on cybersecurity education and training, was launched by Protexxa Inc. to address the cybersecurity talent shortage of 3.5 million unfilled jobs in the information security industry. The initiative aims to train 100,000 African, Caribbean and Canadian individuals with hands-on skills for entry-level cybersecurity roles. The first class of 100-plus students graduated on May 27 in Barbados and will start their new jobs over the next 90 days.
4. Hacker Alert: U.S. and South Korean intelligence agencies have issued a new alert warning over North Korean cyber actors' use of social engineering tactics to strike think tanks, academia and news media sectors. The information gathering efforts have been attributed to a state-sponsored cluster dubbed Kimsuky, which is also known by the names APT43, ARCHIPELAGO, Black Banshee, Emerald Sleet (previously Thallium), Nickel Kimball and Velvet Chollima. (Source: The Hacker News)
5. Data Breach: Hackers have stolen data from the systems of a number of users of the popular file transfer tool MOVEit Transfer, U.S. security researchers said on Thursday, one day after the maker of the software disclosed that a security flaw had been discovered. Progress Software Corp. after disclosing the vulnerability on Wednesday, said it could lead to potential unauthorized access into users' systems. (Source: Reuters)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 - June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)