Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. CyberRisk Alliance Hits Milestone: CyberRisk Alliance (CRA), a cybersecurity business intelligence and professional development company, announced that it has surpassed 1,000 chief information security officer (CISO) members across their Cybersecurity Collaborative and Cybersecurity Collaboration Forums business units. This is a significant milestone in CRA’s mission to foster a leading national community for F2000 CISOs.
2. Security Partnership: SecPod Technologies, a vulnerability and patch management specialist, has formed a strategic partnership with Portland Europe, a distributor of advanced cybersecurity solutions. This collaboration aims to promote and distribute SecPod's flagship product SanerNow, specifically tailored for managed security service providers (MSSPs) operating in the Benelux region.
3. Dark Web Research: Searchlight Cyber has released its new report, "Dark Web Threats Against the Banking Sector," which outlines the tactics of cybercriminal reconnaissance against banking institutions. The report highlights the most prominent threats visible on the dark web, including initial access broker posts on dark web forums, insider threats and supply chain attacks. It also explains how banks can use this intelligence to improve their cyber defense.
4. Cybersecurity Workshops Offered: BG Networks has launched eight cybersecurity workshops for developers covering major internet of things (IoT) security regulations across multiple industries. These workshops provide essential information on how to add regulation compliant cybersecurity to IoT devices. Each workshop covers the fundamentals of IoT security, including hands-on sessions implementing security features.
5. Hacker Alert: A North Korean government-backed hacking group penetrated an American IT management company and used it as a springboard to target cryptocurrency companies. The hackers broke into Louisville, Colorado-based JumpCloud in late June and used their access to the company’s systems to target its cryptocurrency company clients in an effort to steal digital cash. (Source: Reuters)
6. Free Security Assessment Tool: Mandiant has developed a free self-assessment to help organizations of all sizes assess their cyber defense capabilities and identify areas where they can improve their security. The self-assessment is based on the six critical functions of cyber defense laid out in The Defender’s Advantage.
7. Cyberattack Launched: Estée Lauder took some of its systems down as a proactive measure in response to a cyberattack that involved the theft of corporate data, the company said Tuesday. The ALPHV ransomware group, which claims to be behind the attack, said it first contacted Estée Lauder leadership via corporate and personal email accounts on July 15. (Source: Cybersecurity Dive)
8. Cyber Warranty Program Grows: Cork, a cyber warranty company, is enjoying some early success with its early access program (EAP). The program has reached full capacity, engaging 300-plus MSPs just three weeks following its launch. Read the full story on Channel E2E.
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)