Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS); managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. CyberRisk Alliance Honors Women in Cybersecurity: CyberRisk Alliance and SC Media have announced their 2023 Women in IT Security awards. The Women in IT Security program has recognized 20 information security professionals who have made exceptional contributions to the cybersecurity field in North America. The program also spotlights women leaders who have demonstrated significant expertise, commitment and influence in shaping the industry’s future and elevating the practice of information security.
2. Cybersecurity Group Launches: The International Gaming Standards Committee (IGSA) has announced the creation of a Cyber Resiliency Committee (CRC), supported by Aristocrat Technologies, Light & Wonder and AXES.ai, to create standards for cyber risk management, cybersecurity governance and framework control standards for casino operators and their ecosystem.
3. Cybersecurity Game Debuts: KnowBe4, a security awareness training and simulated phishing platform provider, has launched its new cybersecurity game, Hack-A-Cat, available on Roblox, one of the most popular gaming platforms on the market today. The game is KnowBe4’s first entry into the Roblox platform and is aimed to educate young people about cyber threats and cybersecurity best practices.
4. Phishing Tournament on Tap: Fortra and Microsoft are sponsoring the Gone Phishing Tournament, to be held October 9-27. The tournament uses real-world scenarios to establish accurate phishing clickthrough rates among end users, allowing organizations to benchmark their phishing resilience against true global standards. Last year, 1.2 million users from across 250 organizations took part, with more than 21 phishing message languages deployed. Registrations are being accepted through September 30.
5. Industry Recognition: Scott Edwards, CEO of Summit 7, has been selected as the 2023 Cyber Huntsville award recipient for cybersecurity industry leadership. Edwards is the founder of the Managed Service Provider (MSP) Collective and serves as its executive director.
6. Leadership Move: Illumio, a zero trust segmentation company, announced that John Kindervag is joining the company as chief evangelist. With more than 25 years of experience as a practitioner and industry analyst, Kindervag is one of the world’s foremost cybersecurity experts and is known for creating the transformational cybersecurity zero trust model, the company said.
7. Bermuda Suffers Cyberattack: The government of Bermuda was hit by a cyberattack, suspected of originating in Russia. The government reported that its telephone, internet and email systems were disrupted and that all departments were affected, which suggests this was a ransomware attack. The Bermuda Police Service said that its services were functioning, and that emergency and non-emergency telephone numbers were operating as usual. (Source: DataBreaches.net)
8. Security Partnership: The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) and the European Union (EU) have met to make further commitments to cyber defense. NATO cyber security experts met with the European External Action Service to discuss the threats posed to both military and civilian infrastructure by online threats. “Cyberspace can be only defended in a collaborative spirit”, said David van Weel, Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges. “Greater synergies between NATO and the EU cyber initiatives enhance the wellbeing and security for our citizens, our economies, including protection of critical infrastructure, as well as our cyber defenses.” (Source: Yahoo News)