Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Industry Recognition: Vaultree has been recognized as a 2023 Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum (WEF). This prestigious recognition signifies Vaultree's acceptance into a community of global leaders who are driving change and innovation, the company said.
2. Security Partnership: GuidePoint Security announced that DTEX Systems has joined its Emerging Cyber Vendor Program. Through this partnership, DTEX will leverage GuidePoint’s federal expertise across sales and marketing, operations, engineering and procurement to expand its federal footprint.
3. Industry Recognition: HUMAN Security has been named to the TIME100 Most Influential Companies for 2023. The announcement recognizes HUMAN's impact protecting the integrity of the internet by disrupting the economics of cybercrime and safeguarding more than 20 trillion digital interactions per week across more than three billion devices every month, the company said.
4. Leadership Move: Barracuda Networks has named Siroui Mushegian as its new chief information officer. Mushegian brings more than 20 years of executive and IT leadership experience to Barracuda and has successfully built strong operational environments that eliminate technology silos and deliver measurable business outcomes, the company said.
5. Security Education Partnership: Dakota State University (DSU) and ArmyCyber (ARCYBER) signed an Educational Partnership Agreement (EPA) at a ceremony held at DSU on June 19. This is the first partnership of its kind for ARCYBER because it encompasses all five of its mission objectives, to operate, defend, attack, influence, and inform.
6. Cybersecurity Partnership: IT services provider MNJ Technologies has announced an enhancement to its Advanced Technology Services security platform, powered by its partnership with Adlumin. These enhancements expand MNJ's security services capabilities with the addition of managed detection and response (MDR), security operations center (SOC), penetration testing and other advanced security offerings.
7. Hacker Alert: An unknown threat actor is brute-forcing Linux SSH servers to install a wide range of malware, including the Tsunami DDoS (distributed denial of service) bot, ShellBot, log cleaners, privilege escalation tools, and an XMRig (Monero) coin miner. SSH (Secure Socket Shell) is an encrypted network communication protocol for logging into remote machines, supporting tunneling, TCP port forwarding, file transfers, etc. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
8. Safe Notary Advancement: The U.S. Department of Justice is adding a new section to its National Security Division that will focus on prosecuting malicious foreign cyber activity. The National Security Cyber Section will allow the National Security Division to “increase the scale and speed of our disruption campaigns and prosecutions of nation-state cyberthreats as well as state-sponsored cyber criminals,” Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen said.
9. U.S. Offers Bounty on Ransomware Gang: The U.S. State Department is offering a $10 million bounty related to information on the Clop ransomware gang, which is attributed to broad exploits of the MOVEit transfer vulnerabilities with victims that include federal agencies. (Source: Cybersecurity Dive) For in-depth coverage of the widespread cyberattacks, check out this MSSP Alert article.
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)