Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cyber Threat Alliance Adds Member: The Cyber Threat Alliance (CTA), a nonprofit organization working to improve the cybersecurity of the global digital ecosystem, announced that CyberCX is joining the alliance, bringing CTA’s membership to 36 companies from across the global cybersecurity industry.
2. CISA Releases Guidance: The Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released the first series of final security guidance resources under its Secure Cloud Business Applications (SCuBA) project: the Extensible Visibility Reference Framework (eVRF) Guidebook and a Technical Reference Architecture (TRA) document. The guidance documents help public and private entities implement necessary security and resilience best-practices for their cloud services, CISA said.
3. Marine Corps Recruits Cyber Solders: The U.S. Marine Corps has announced it's more than doubling the amount of cash it will offer recruits who qualify to enter its cyber warfare field. Recruits entering the cyber and crypto operations field are now eligible for $15,000, the largest enlistment bonus in the Marine Corps currently. (Source: Military.com)
4. Contract Award: Booz Allen Hamilton announced that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Enterprise Development, Operations Services (EDOS), has awarded the company a Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) with a ceiling value of $2.6 billion. The multiple-award BPA has a seven-year period of performance.
5. Funding Boost: P1Fort, a cyber insurance automation platform provider, announced it has completed a successful $2 million pre-seed round of financing. Major investors included Village Global, 8-Bit Capital, Operator Partners, Character, Company Ventures, BrokerTech Ventures, along with other venture firms and angel investors.
6. Company Expansion: Critical Start, a provider of managed detection and response (MDR) cybersecurity solutions, announced the opening of two new offices. The company established its second security operations center (SOC) with the opening of a new facility located in Lehi, Utah, and opened its first center of excellence (COE) for engineering, located in Pune, India.
7. Industry Recognition: Xantrion announced that it has been named as one of the world's premier managed service providers in the 2023 Channel Futures MSP 501 rankings. We're thrilled to be on the Channel Futures 501 list for the twelfth time," Xantrion President Anne Bisagno said. "I attribute our staying power to our world-class technical support and our proven managed security service."
8. Malware Alert: A new mobile malware campaign pushes the Android banking trojan "Anatsa" to online banking customers in the U.S., the U.K., Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The attackers are distributing their malware via the Play Store, Android's official app store, and already have over 30,000 installations via this method alone. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
9. Microsoft Bug discovered: A Microsoft Teams vulnerability allows adversaries to sidestep security controls to plant malware on targeted systems. The Teams attack vector was found by researchers who warn as traditional routes of infection, as heavily scrutinized communications platforms such as Teams, Slack and Zoom are becoming a more attractive target. (Source: SC Media)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)