Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Industry Recognition: Cequence Security, a provider of unified API protection, announced that the company has been recognized as a “best-in-class” solution in the Datos Insights Vendor Evaluation: API Security Solutions report. Cequence earned one of the highest product scores in the history of Datos Insights vendor evaluation reports, the company said.
2. Leadership Move: Trellix, an extended detection and response (XDR) specialist, announced that the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) NICE program has appointed Trellix Chief Human Resources Officer Michael Alicea as its new NICE Community Coordinating Council Industry co-chair. Serving a two-year term, he will drive positive change and advocate for solutions to address talent shortages.
3. Africa Cyber Conference: BlackBerry announced that it will participate in Cybertech Africa in Rwanda. The first-of-its kind event in the region will convene government officials and technology leaders to advance cybersecurity in Africa and will be held from August 1-2. At Cybertech Africa, BlackBerry will meet with African government officials and enterprise leaders to help navigate the increasingly complex cyber landscape and drive the fostering of cybersecurity innovation and public-private partnerships.
4. Industry Recognition: CrowdStrike has been named the 2023 US ISV Partner of the Year award from Amazon Web Services (AWS). Announced during the AWS regional Partner Summit in New York City, the award recognizes partners whose business models have embraced specialization, innovation and collaboration over the past year.
5. Black Hat Releases Speakers Schedule: Black Hat has announced its full schedule programming for Black Hat USA 2023. Taking place August 8-10 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, this year’s event will feature 98 briefings, four days of trainings and more than 80 arsenal tools.
6. Cyber Insurance Partnership: ESET announced its partnership with Patriot Growth Insurance Services (Patriot), one of the largest US insurance services firms specializing in cyber insurance. The newly launched platform allows ESET and Patriot to proactively assess companies' security postures so they know what they should do to qualify for cyber insurance coverage before applying.
7. Cyberattack on Scottish University: Data belonging to the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) has been put up for auction by an extortion cybergang. The university first said it was facing a "cyber incident" earlier this month and police have been investigating. Now the ransomware gang Rhysida is demanding 20 bitcoin (£450,000) for the confidential data and says it will be sold to the highest bidder. The incident has affected staff laptops, shut off around half of the university's IT systems, and affected student submissions. (Source: BBC)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
- MSSP Alert Live (October 9-11, Washington, D.C.)