Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cybersecurity Acquisition: Anatomy IT, a platform provider for healthcare IT and cybersecurity solutions, has acquired IRIS Solutions, a specialist in healthcare technology services for dental practices and healthcare providers. This acquisition allows Anatomy IT to expand its presence in the ambulatory healthcare sector and bring its comprehensive suite of enterprise IT and cybersecurity solutions, resources and technology to a broader range of healthcare clients.
2. Security Partnership: Exabeam has formed a partnership with Google Cloud to help businesses in Qatar with advanced threat detection, investigation and response with its cloud-native portfolio of products. Qatar-based security teams can now purchase Exabeam to detect difficult-to-find threats, defend against cyberattacks and defeat digital adversaries.
3. Cybersecurity Certification Program: Covenant Technologies, a provider of cybersecurity and IT recruiting solutions, has launched its ISRF CS-01 certification program. Covenant asserts that it has a proven formula for selecting the best cybersecurity and IT experts for their clients. The ISRF certification passes that knowledge onto IT and technical recruiters, benefitting the recruiter and their team or clients.
4. Ransomware Incident: Onix Group LLC announced that it mailed letters to individuals affected by a cybersecurity incident on behalf of itself and affiliates and companies for whom Onix provides services. On March 27, 2023, Onix experienced a ransomware incident that affected its internal computer systems and took immediate action to secure its systems and launched an investigation with help from cybersecurity experts.
5. New Malware Identified: Cybersecurity researchers have identified a new information-stealing malware that targets browsers and cryptocurrency wallets. Although the malware, called Bandit Stealer, has only targeted Windows systems so far, it has the potential to expand to other platforms, such as Linux. What makes Bandit Stealer particularly dangerous is that it’s difficult for victims to detect, researchers at Trend Micro wrote in a report published May 26. (Source: The Record)
6. Cyber Insurance Partnership: Cysurance, a next-generation risk mitigation company, is partnering with Kaseya, a provider of unified IT management and security software for managed service providers (MSPs) and small to mid-size businesses (SMBs), to launch the Kaseya Cyber Insurance Fast Track Program. The partnership with Cysurance delivers up to $1.5 million in cybersecurity insurance coverage for companies that adopt and implement Kaseya’s IT Complete Security Suite.
7. Cyber Competition and Conference: For the first time, the United States will host the 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3). This global event will be held July 31 to August 4, 2023, in San Diego, California, and is organized by Katzcy PlayCyber.
8. Dental Data Breach: Government-sponsored dental health insurance provider Managed Care of North America (MCNA) notified customers on May 26 that a data breach on its systems impacted nine million patients' personal information. "The information stolen in this breach is a treasure trove for criminals who can use it to conduct identity theft or social engineering attacks," commented Javvad Malik, lead security awareness advocate at KnowBe4. "This incident highlights the importance of investing in cybersecurity, especially identifying the root causes of ransomware attacks."
9. Leadership Move: Keepit, a cloud data protection and management specialist, has appointed Craig Bumpus as chief revenue officer (CRO). Bumpus will be responsible for building Keepit’s go-to-market strategies in collaboration with CEO Frederik Schouboe.
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 - June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)