Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Product Launch: AttackIQ, an independent vendor of breach and attack simulation (BAS) solutions, announced the approval of the AttackIQ Security Optimization Platform by the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) and its availability for purchase via Four Inc.’s GSA Federal Schedule.
2. Leadership Move: ECI, a specialist in managed services and cybersecurity for the global financial services industry, has appointed Jeff Schmidt as president and CEO. Schmidt was the founding CEO of Avertium, a provider of cybersecurity services, where he tripled revenues over five years.
3. Product Launch: Critical Start, a provider of managed detection and response (MDR) cybersecurity solutions, released its new Managed Extended Detection and Response (XDR) offering. The new service provides proactive defense that reduces the risk of a breach by bringing together threat prevention, detection and response to thwart and mitigate threats before they cause damage.
4. Cybersecurity Talent Research: Demand for cybersecurity talent continues to outpace supply, according to the latest data from CyberSeek, the joint initiative of the National Institute of Standards and Technology's (NIST) NICE program, Lightcast and CompTIA. CyberSeek data confirms a persistently tight cybersecurity labor market with a supply-demand ratio of 69% (69 workers for every 100 job openings). Employers deployed 663,434 job postings for cybersecurity positions over the past 12 months, building on the growing base of 1.1 million U.S. cybersecurity professionals.
5. Funding Boost: Keep Aware, a company focused on a human-centric approach to browser security, announced a $2.4 million round led by LiveOak Venture Partners, with participation from Runtime Ventures and prominent angel investors in the cybersecurity industry. Keep Aware will use this funding to accelerate product development and establish go-to-market programs, enabling it to support its growing customer base and keep up with surging demand.
6. Cybersecurity eBook Release: MSSP Stratejm has released its new eBook, "Ignite Your Cybersecurity Transformation - Embracing Security-as-a-Service." This comprehensive guide from Stratejm explores the revolutionary concepts of security-as-a-service (SECaaS) and cybersecurity mesh architecture.
7. Malware Alert: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky has released a tool to detect if Apple iPhones and other iOS devices are infected with a new "Triangulation" malware. Kaspersky discovered the malware on its own network, reporting that it has infected multiple iOS devices across its premises worldwide since at least 2019. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
8. SpinOk Malware Sighted: The SpinOk malware was found in a new batch of Android apps on Google Play, reportedly installed an additional 30 million times. The finding comes from CloudSEK’s security team, who report finding a set of 193 apps carrying the malicious SDK, 43 of which were active on Google Play at the time of their discovery last week. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
9. Carribean Island Suffers Cyberattack: The island of Martinique is dealing with a cyberattack that has disrupted internet access and other infrastructure for weeks. In a notice on May 24, Martinique officials said a cyberattack “heavily disrupted the activities of the community and directly impacted users and partners.” The notice said the attack began on May 16, forcing officials to isolate the affected systems. Cybersecurity experts were mobilized to help gradually restore their operations. (Source: The Record)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)