Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS); managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cybersecurity Acquisition: Partner One, a global software conglomerates, has acquired Fidelis Cybersecurity's software, intellectual property, equipment, inventory and customer and reseller contracts. Fidelis is a provider of eXtended detection and response (XDR) and a cloud native application protection platform (CNAPP).
2. Industry Recognition: The Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), a non-profit cybersecurity professional association, has named the 2023 ISSA International Awards winners and honorees. The 2023 International Awards Gala was held at the MGM Park Las Vegas on August 5. “For over 20 years ISSA has recognized the individuals working hard to advance their skills and the cybersecurity profession at large in the mission to protect organizations around the world from cyber threats,” said Candy Alexander, Board President, ISSA International.
3. Product Launch: Silobreaker, a security and threat intelligence technology company, has released new risk scoring capabilities to help threat intel teams better understand, categorize and prioritize the cybersecurity risks facing their organizations. The new features include a convenient way to interpret and compare the indicators of compromise (IOC) risk scoring systems used by various threat intelligence providers, as well as new a proprietary domain and IP reputation service to enrich indicators with additional context.
4. CISA Issues Strategic Plan: The FY2024-2026 Cybersecurity Strategic Plan guides the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency's (CISA) efforts in pursuit of a new vision for cybersecurity: a vision grounded in collaboration, in innovation, and in accountability. Aligned with the National Cybersecurity Strategy and nested under CISA’s 2023–2025 Strategic Plan, the Cybersecurity Strategic Plan provides a blueprint for how CISA will pursue a future in which damaging cyber intrusions are a shocking anomaly, organizations are secure and resilient, and technology products are secure by design and default.
5. MSP Portal Debuts: The Twingate MSP Portal provides a centralized, intuitive interface that consolidates all the critical information organization's need to protect, manage and monitor your customers' networks. "MSPs are a core focus for Twingate, and we're thrilled to share the new Twingate MSP Portal, which helps MSPs bring a zero trust security model to their customers," said Twingate CEO Tony Huie.
6. Hacker Alert: An elite group of North Korean hackers secretly breached computer networks at a major Russian missile developer for at least five months last year, according to technical evidence reviewed by Reuters and analysis by security researchers. Reuters found cyber-espionage teams linked to the North Korean government, which security researchers call ScarCruft and Lazarus, secretly installed stealthy digital backdoors into systems at NPO Mashinostroyeniya, a rocket design bureau based in Reutov, a small town on the outskirts of Moscow. (Source: Reuters)
7. Malware Discovery: A new breed of malware has been discovered, targeting the Google Play Store and posing a significant threat to Android users. The malicious app tricks unsuspecting users into unknowingly stealing their private text information. The malware, which has recently been identified by experts, specifically targets Android devices. It is designed to deceive users into believing that they are downloading a legitimate application from the Google Play Store. However, once the app is installed, it secretly begins collecting sensitive information from the user’s device. (Source: Fagan Wasanni Technologies)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
- MSSP Alert Live (October 9-11, Washington, D.C.)