Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Leadership Move: High Wire Networks has promoted Susanna Song from vice president of marketing and communications to the new position of chief marketing officer. The appointment coincides with the company’s launch of a new digital marketing and brand awareness campaign to be led by Song. The initiative includes the introduction of new service options for the company’s Overwatch managed cybersecurity offering.
2. Threat Alert: Check Point Software Technologies has published its Global Threat Index for May 2023. Researchers reported on a new version of shellcode-based downloader GuLoader, which was the fourth most prevalent malware in May. With fully encrypted payloads and anti-analysis techniques, the latest form can be stored undetected in well-known public cloud services, including Google Drive, Check Point said. Meanwhile, Qbot and Anubis took first place on their respective lists, and Education/Research remained the most exploited industry.
3. Ransomware Warning: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) have issued a warning about known CL0P ransomware IOCs and TTPs identified through FBI investigations as recently as June 2023. Beginning on May 27, CL0P Ransomware Gang, also known as TA505, began exploiting a previously unknown SQL injection vulnerability (CVE-2023-34362) in Progress Software's managed file transfer (MFT) solution known as MOVEit Transfer.
4. Industry Recognition: Bitdefender has been recognized as a vendor "Who Shaped the Year" in the IDC report, "Worldwide Consumer Digital Life Protection (CDLP) Market Shares, 2022."
5. Leadership Move: MSP360, a provider of IT management solutions for managed services providers (MSPs), has promoted Kurt Abrahams to chief marketing officer. He previously served as the company's vice president of marketing.
6. Industry Recognition: Keeper Security has been named the Overall Leader in GigaOm's 2023 Radar Report for Password Management report. This is the second consecutive year taking the top spot in the report.
7. University Receives Research Grant: The University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) has secured $5.3 million in federal grant for new research in AI and cybersecurity. UCSB has been chosen as the leading university for a research project called the Institute for Agent-based Cyber Threat Intelligence and Operation (ACTION). The university will join over 20 top AI research institutions to find ways to harness AI to protect cybersecurity and privacy. (Source: KCBX FM)
8. Cyberattack on British University: The University of Manchester reported a cybersecurity incident on Friday, saying it had detected unauthorized activity on its network. The university said in a statement that it was working to resolve the issue and establish what data might have been affected. (Source: Reuters)
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)