Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Security Operations Center (SOC) Automation: Avirtek has won a $1.5 million contract to develop an autonomic SOC (ASoC) for the U.S. Air Force and Army, the company says.
2. Artificial Intelligence: Masergy has unveiled Masergy AIOps, an integrated AI-based, digital assistant for network, security and application optimization.
3. Ransomware - Another School Attack: This time it's Rockford Public Schools of Illinois. On a related note, a school district in Flagstaff, Arizona also suffered a ransomware attack last week.
4. Ransomware Targets Linux: Lilu (aka Lilocked), a new strain of ransomware, has infected thousands of Linux servers since mid-July 2019, according to multiple reports.
5. Cyber Spying - Human Rights: The Israeli-based NSO Group, whose software is alleged to have been used in a number of government surveillance scandals, said on Tuesday it would abide by U.N. guidelines to prevent rights abuses, Reuters reports.
6. Cyberattack - US Electric Grid: A first-of-its-kind cyberattack on the U.S. grid created blind spots at a grid control center and several small power generation sites in the western United States, E&E News reports.
7. NSA Attack Tools: Chinese threat actor APT3 quietly monitored the US National Security Agency's use of a highly sophisticated cyber attack tool and then reverse engineered the code to build an advanced Trojan of its own called Bemstour, Dark Reading reports.
8. Talent - Identity and Access Management (IAM): SAASPASS's advisory board now includes former Salesforce Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) Izak Mutlu.
9. Talent - SD-WANs: Open Systems, a provider of network and security as-a-service solutions, has hired Jeff Brown to succeed Martin Bosshardt as CEO.
11. Firewalls: Barracuda Networks has announced Release 8 of Barracuda CloudGen Firewall. The new functionality helps streamline SD-WAN management, optimize cloud connectivity, and automate scalable protection across multi-cloud deployments, the company asserts.
12. Enterprise Security: Darktrace has launched Version 4 of its Enterprise Immune System, which includes over 70 enhancements.
13. IoT Security: Symphion has launched an IoT Cyber Security as a Service solution.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.