Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Wednesday, October 17, 2018.
15. Compliance - HIPAA Fine: Anthem has agreed to pay the Office of Civil Rights a $16 million fine related after the healthcare firm suffered cyberattacks that led to the largest U.S. health data breach in history, and exposed the electronic protected health information of almost 79 million people, OCR says. It's the largest HIPAA fine in history.
14. Integration - PSA and Security: ID Agent, a provider of dark web monitoring and identity theft protection solutions, now integrates with Datto's Autotask PSA platform. The result: Datto’s Autotask PSA users can configure their Dark Web ID exposure alerts to create tickets within their PSA console, allowing for faster response directly to the end user customer and less email traffic for the administrator, ID Agent asserts.
13. Stay Tuned: It's a safe bet McAfee will make multiple announcements today during the MPower conference in Las Vegas...
12. Hackers Allegedly Hit Energy Companies: The GreyEnergy hacker group, a successor to the BlackEnergy APT group, could be preparing some major cyber attacks against the energy industry, according to ESET's research.
11. Alleged Russia Hacker Activity: Russian intelligence agents are hacking into computer systems in Britain to “pre-position” themselves to be able to launch devastating cyber attacks, a spy chief warned this week, according to The Standard.
10. Los Angeles Cyber Lab: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti plans to expand the capabilities of the Los Angeles Cyber Lab — a partnership that unites local government and the private sector to fight the growing threat of cyber attacks. The announcement follows the awarding of a near $3 million grant from the Department of Homeland Security.
9. Talent - Cloud Security: Zscaler has hired Split Software and Data Bricks veteran Kavitha Mariappan as senior VP of customer experience and transformation. Mariappan is responsible for leading global strategic initiatives that drive a customer-centric experience throughout the Zscaler organization, the company says.
8. Phishing Mitigation: TraceSecurity has unveiled PhinPoint, a product designed to review, identify, and alert users of potential phishing and fraud attacks.
7. Cyber Recovery Software: Dell EMC has launched Cyber Recovery software and associated services to protect against ransomeware and safely restore data in the event of an attack. The software includes automation, workflow and security analytics tools to ensure gold copies of critical data are isolated yet available for fast recoveries, Dell EMC asserts.
5. R&D - Data and Cyber Protection: Acronis has opened a new R&D center, based in Bulgaria, to focus on cyber protection, AI and blockchain projects.
4. Partnership - SOCs, Threat Hunting & Incident Response: Marlabs and LIFARS are partnering to offer "world-class security operations centers and Threat Hunting coupled with leading edge incident response and forensic investigations," the two New York-area companies say.
3. M&A - Internet Security: Kape Technologies has acquired ZenMate, a VPN service provider that supports 45 million users. Kape, which also owns CyberGhost and Intego, had 350 employees ahead of the deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.
2. M&A - MSSP & Incident Response: Singapore investment firm Temasek Holdings has acquired Sygnia, an Israeli cybersecurity company focused on proactive defense and threat response services. Financial terms were not disclosed, but CNBC says Temasek paid $250 million for Sygnia.
1. Top 100 Cloud MSPs for AWS, Azure: See the list when ChannelE2E unveils research results during a webcast this Thursday.