Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Tuesday morning, January 22, 2019.
12. Upgrade: Varonis Data Security Platform Systems version 7.0 is now available to help organizations protect their enterprise data from insider threats and cyberattacks.
11. Massachusetts Data Breach Notification Law: The governor has signed updates that take effect on April 11, 2019.
10. Baltimore Insider Threat?: The mayor of Baltimore, Maryland, ordered a security review after a technology staffer at Baltimore’s water agency gave himself special access to the computer of the Department of Public Works director. Also, the staffer was found with hacking tools on his own city computer, Government Technology reports.
9. College Cybersecurity: Vanderbilt University is rolling out VerifyU, a cybersecurity initiative that includes multi-factor authentication.
7. Cyber Training: Girl Scouts of America is now offering girls as young as five a badge in cybersecurity, BBC reports.
6. Talent: CyberSecurity San Antonio, an association that works with the cybersecurity industry to support workforce education, has named Amanda Keammerer acting head of the organization.
5. Microsoft Partner Portal Exposure: Microsoft’s partner portal last week suffered a limited data exposure that allowed partners to view support tickets submitted from all over the world, according to a report.
4. Sophos Stock: It tanked last week amid slowing growth, raising concerns that maybe the security market is over valued... Whatever the case, Sophos continues to maintain close relationships with MSPs worldwide.
3. DDoS Threat Report: The Nexusguard “Q3 2018 Threat Report” explores an extremely stealthy distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack pattern targeting communications service providers (CSPs)...
2. SIEM Effectiveness: Roughly 76 percent of businesses say SIEM reduces security breaches, according to the 2019 SIEM Survey Report from AlienVault and Cybersecurity Insiders.
1. MSSP Alert Webcasts 2019: Our schedule is posted here. Register now to join us.