Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Thursday, August 30, 2018.
11. Air Canada Data Breach: Air Canada has alerted users of its mobile app of a data breach that exposed personal information – including stored passport numbers – of some 20,000 users, Dark Reading reports. The airline said after noticing "unusual login behavior" on the Mobile+ app from Aug. 22 to 24, it blocked that traffic and locked all Air Canada mobile app accounts, the report says. Customers now must reactivate their accounts on the app, which is back up and running, Dark Reading adds.
10. U.S. State by State Website Security: It's weak, according to a new report...
9. Phishing Email Statistics: One out of every 50 emails contains a suspicious link, according to Mimecast research. The study explored 142 million emails that went through such security systems as Microsoft Office 365, Proofpoint and Symantec, MediaPost notes. Mimecast detected 19 million suspicious emails that were delivered to inboxes and not detected by incumbent security systems. Of these, 7 million were rejected and 11.3 million were quarantined, the media report says.
8. Managed Privacy Services: FairWarning, which offers managed privacy services (MPS) to safeguard electronic health records and cloud-based applications, has just confirmed its 100th MPS customer.
7. Managed Detection and Response: Critical Start's revenue grew 87 percent in the first seven months of 2018 compared to the corresponding period in 2017. Moreover, the company's Managed Detection & Response (MDR) business has grown 300% YTD in 2018 when compared to all of 2017. Actual revenue and profit figures were not disclosed. MSSP Alert suspects the growth rates include revenues gained from Critical Start's buyout of Advanced Threat Analytics in March 2018.
6. Endpoint Protection & PCI DSS Compliance: Carbon Black has announced version 8.1 of Cb Protection. The application control solution can lock down servers and critical systems, prevent unwanted changes, and ensure continuous compliance with regulatory mandates, including Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), Carbon Black says. Version 8.1 includes a new "File Delete" feature, allowing customers to remove legacy AV and run Cb Protection without going through the compensating control process.
5. Partnership - CASB & Threat Detection: Managed Methods' Cloud Access Security Brokerage (CASB) solution, called Cloud Access Monitor, now supports Cylance's AI-driven threat detection software. The result: Partners and customers can proactively prevent advanced persistent threats and malware in cloud applications, the companies say.
4. SIEM Momentum: Bookings at Securonix grew 150 percent in the first half of 2018 vs. the corresponding period in 2017. Also, subscription revenue grew 195 percent, and the company's customer retention rate is 98 percent. Actual revenue and profit figures were not disclosed. The statement comes a few days after Splunk announced SIEM partner momentum, and a few weeks before the SIEM-focused Exabaeam Spotlight18 customer conference.
3. Blockchain Security Testing: TBG Security has introduced Blockchain Security Testing services. The services ensure a "blockchain implementation is hardened against compromise, whether the threat agent is internal or external, TBG asserts.
2. Cyber MSP Momentum: VirtualArmour, which positions itself as a cybersecurity MSP, says revenues were $4.0 million in Q2 2018, up 50 percent from the corresponding quarter last year. Managed and professional services revenue increased 78% to $1.2 million, due primarily to the addition of 17 new clients signed under contracts over the last 12 months. Gross profit as a percentage of revenue increased to 27.1% from 17.6% due to a favorable shift in revenue mix to higher margin managed and professional services revenue, the company says. Annual recurring revenue (ARR) totaled $498,000 at June 30, 2018, up from $157,000 at June 30, 2017.
1. Top 100 MSSPs 2018: We’ll unveil the complete 2018 list and research during our September webcast. Register now to join us.