Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, February 28, 2018:
11. Network Security: Fortinet delivered FortiOS 6.0 and more than 200 new capabilities to help automate security operations centers. The details surfaced at Accelerate 18, the company's annual conference. We'll share more details later today.
10. Telco Security Services: An UAE-based telecommunications service provider called du has selected Fortinet Security Fabric solutions as the foundation of its Cloud Unified Threat Management (UTM) managed security services.
9. Mobile Security: Avast and Vodafone Czech Republic are partnering to promote two new mobile security apps to safeguard more than three million subscribers.
8. Crypto Tokens Resurface: A hacker who stole more than 43,000 ether tokens from would-be investors in CoinDash has returned a majority of the funds to the startup, according to CoinDesk. The company reported that the thief returned 30,000 tokens over two different transactions, the first in September 2017 and the second last Friday, to CoinDash's wallet. At press time, the tokens were worth a little more than $26 million, CoinDesk reports.
7. Momentum: Comodo CA, which develops digital identity solutions, says revenues grew 45 percent in 2017 vs. 2016, driven by 30 new global partners and a rapidly accelerating channel program. Michael Fowler, president of channel partners, drives the partner effort.
6. Funding - IIoT: CyberX, which develops security solutions for industrial control systems and IIoT deployments, has raised $18 million in Series B funding.
5. Funding - Cyber Insurance: Coalition Inc., which develops cyber insurance solutions, has raised $10 million in Series A funding from Vy Capital, Ribbit Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Sam Altman (President, Y Combinator), and Deep Nishar (Senior Managing Director, Softbank Vision Fund). We'll share more details later today.
4. Ransomware Impact: The typical ransomware attack impacts 16 workstations, five servers and 22 users within an organization -- with an average downtime of 14 hours. The organizations with the most downtime hours were mid-market and enterprise (5000+ employees) organizations, according to new KnowBe4 research. We'll share more details soon.
3. Security Operations Centers: ZeroFOX and Satisnet are opening Security Operations Centers (SOCs) at Sheffield Hallam and Edinburgh Napier Universities in England. These next generation SOCs move far beyond traditional security operations models, delivering social media and digital security monitoring, as well as Security Orchestration Automation & Response (SOAR), the two companies claim. Founded in 2004, Satisnet is an IT security reseller. ZeroFOX specializes in social media and digital security.
2. MSSP Branding: Origin, an MSP that supports more than 10,000 users in New Zealand, is rebranding its Optinet arm as Origin Security -- essentially positioning the business unit as a full-blown MSSP that offers such services as virtual CISO, 24/7 threat detection, security strategy services, testing and remediation processes, and other security solutions, according to this report.
1. Thank You: MSSP Alert's monthly readership has grown ninefold since the site's launch in May 2017. Fast forward to February 2018, wrapping today, and our overall growth trajectory continues. Special thanks to our readers and sponsors for supporting MSSP Alert, the global voice for Managed Security Service Providers.