Each business day MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Industry Recognition: Trellix, an eXtended detection and response (XDR) specialist, has been named a Leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Modern Endpoint Security for Enterprises 2024 Vendor Assessment. The Trellix Endpoint Security Suite delivers comprehensive protection, detection, investigation and forensics to reduce the attack surface and proactive threat intelligence and defenses across the entire attack lifecycle, the company said.
2. MSP Academy Grows: Acronis has announced an expansion of the Acronis MSP Academy. The latest offerings include the introduction of 19 new modules and more than 100 videos designed to provide business and technical training. The modules contain longer and more in-depth content that emphasizes technical aspects for onboarding new technicians. They cover a diverse range of topics crucial for MSPs, including remote desktop monitoring, disaster recovery, automation for MSPs, and how to market your MSP business, Acronis said.
3. Browser-Based Phishing Attacks Increase: Menlo Security, a browser security specialist, has released its 2023 State of Browser Security Report, demonstrating rapid growth of highly evasive adaptive threats (HEAT) targeting browsers. The research uncovered a 198% increase in browser-based phishing attacks in the second half of 2023 compared to the first half of the year. When specifically looking at attacks classified as evasive, the researchers observed a 206% increase, Menlo's report said.
4. Leadership Move: HUMAN Security, a digital fraud prevention specialist, announced that co-founder and CEO Tamer Hassan is transitioning to the role of board member and executive chairman of the company. Stu Solomon, formerly the president of Recorded Future, has been appointed to CEO. This move marks a strategic transition for HUMAN, "combining Hassan's visionary leadership with Solomon's deep strategic and operational security expertise to accelerate the company's growth and innovation," the company said.
5. MSP Market Expansion: Pax8, a cloud commerce marketplace, announced that offerings from cybersecurity provider Trend Micro are now available on the Pax8 Marketplace in North America and Europe. Trend Micro's product and program align with Pax8's goal of increasing accessibility to market-leading cybersecurity solutions for managed service providers (MSPs), the companies said.
6. Identity Product Release: 1Kosmos, a company focused on unifying identity proofing and passwordless authentication, has unveiled BlockID 1Key. This biometric security key provides a phishing-resistant passwordless multi-factor authentication option for sensitive compartmented information facilities (SCIF), manufacturing clean rooms, customer help desks, higher education labs, retail bank branches, healthcare providers and other restricted environments where access to mobile devices is not permitted or available, the company said.
7. Cybercrime Becoming More Sophisticated, Report Shows: Experian’s 11th annual Data Breach Industry Forecast includes six predictions for 2024 that focus a global lens on what savvy moves cybercriminals will potentially make to penetrate organizations and reap rewards. While 2023 was a “successful” year for bad actors, there may be a shake up the cyber landscape even more this year, Experian said in its report.