Well, here we go. Each morning MSSP Alert offers readers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the MSSP (managed security services provider) ecosystem.
Here's the lineup for Friday, March 17, 2017:
10. Department of Homeland Cybersecurity Budget: President Donald Trump floated a budget blueprint for the 2018 fiscal year Thursday that sets aside $1.5 billion for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to protect federal networks and critical infrastructure from cyberattacks, funding that falls well below the $19 billion the Obama administration proposed spending on such cybersecurity initiatives last year, according to Law360...
9. Federal Cybersecurity Scorecards: A White House adviser this week said the Trump administration will develop metrics to track federal agencies’ implementation of a federal cybersecurity framework. We can't wait to see the report cards...
8. Talent - Managed Services: Logicworks has named James Lewandowski to the company's Board of Directors. Lewandowski's experience involves key roles assisting Rackspace, AlertLogic, McAfee, Yahoo, BMC Software, and IBM. LogicWorks' cloud automation software business has enjoyed a 90 percent compound annual growth rate over the past three years. Logicworks offers a range of managed services -- including AWS monitoring and management capabilities.
7. Intellectual Property & Security: Skyhigh Networks, a cloud access security broker, has earned two patents for security and governance capabilities. The first involves cloud service usage risk assessment and the second involves a cloud service usage monitoring system.
6. Business Continuity & Ransomware Mitigation: Unitrends, which develops enterprise backup and continuity solutions, has enhanced its Recovery Series physical appliances and Unitrends Backup virtual appliances. The offerings now feature Ransomware Detection, Self-Service for application owners and Distributed Enterprise Manager.
5. European Ransomware Attacks: Fully 87 percent of European MSPs say their customers suffered ransomware attacks in 2016, according to Datto survey results. Not by coincidence, Datto has launched anti-ransomware capabilities in its business continuity services. Also, the company recently expanded into the networking, WiFi and unified threat management (UTM) markets. VP of Business Development Rob Rae describes the company strategy in this ChannelE2E podcast.
4. Data Protection Partnership: iPortalis has partnered with Acronis to deliver backup and disaster recovery solutions to enterprises and hosted service providers (HSPs). Acronis protects data for more than 5 million consumers and 500,000 businesses in over 145 countries, the company claims.
3. Cybersecurity Insurance: CNA, a commercial insurance underwriter, has launched a Lawyers' Data Breach and Network Security Endorsement. The new endorsement is available as part of CNA's Lawyers' Professional Liability (LPL) policy. The CNA LPL policy provides coverage for client network damage claims up to the policy limit, as well as coverage up to $20,000 for certain costs associated with regulatory investigations arising from actual or alleged violations of privacy breach notice laws that occurred in the rendering of legal services, the group says.
2. Talent - MSSP Platforms: Siemplify, which specializes in security orchestration and automation, has hired Miguel Carrero as executive VP of strategy and business development. Siemplify develops ThreatNexus, an integrated security operations platform that helps MSSPs and enterprises to manage, investigate, and automate threat response from a single pane of glass.
1. Countdown to Launch: Yup. We actually wrote this blog on Friday, March 17 -- quite a bit before MSSP Alert's anticipated launch day. in mid-2017.