The investment reinforces Thoma Bravo's growing reach across the cybersecurity technology market. Moreover, many of the private equity firm's investments involve MSP- and MSSP-centric security software. Key Thoma Bravo investments include:
- Email security provider Proofpoint;
- machine identity management startup Venafi;
- application and website security company Imperva;
- identity and access management company Centrify;
- SIEM specialist LogRhythm; and
- Barracuda Networks -- which has several thousand security-minded MSPs in its partner ecosystem.
The latest Thoma Bravo investment, Intel 471, develops the TITAN platform -- which "enables intelligence and security professionals to access structured information, dashboards, timely alerts and intelligence reporting via web portal or API integration," the private equity firm says.
Intel 471 Integrations, Alliances and Channel Partnerships
Intel 471's partner program spans:
1. Integrations with threat intelligence platforms, SIEM (security information and event management) tools; and orchestration tools. Relationships in this area include Anomali, Palo Alto Networks, Perch Security from ConnectWise, Siemplify, Splunk and others.
Of those companies, co-managed MDR provider Perch Security most aggressively focuses on MSP partnerships. And Perch parent ConnectWise is owned by Thoma Bravo.
2. Alliances with ISACs (Information Sharing and Analysis Centers), which are non-profit organizations that provide a central resource for gathering and sharing cyber threat information.
3. Channel partnerships -- though that effort appears focused mostly on VARs and systems integrators rather than MSSPs.
Intel 471 Leadership and Executive Perspectives
Intel 471 Co-founders Mark Arena and Jason Passwaters continue to lead the company, and they also retain a "significant ownership position" in the business.
In a prepared statement about the Thoma Bravo investment, Arena said:
"As cybercriminals and their tactics become increasingly sophisticated, our monitoring and intelligence solutions have become mission-critical, with organizations of all sizes looking to us to help them protect against attacks. With deep security expertise, Thoma Bravo understands our vision of a preventative approach to cybersecurity. Thoma Bravo's industry experience, operational capabilities and capital support make it the right partner for us as we take our business to even greater heights."
"Through our portfolio of robust, proprietary threat intelligence solutions, Intel 471 delivers round-the-clock strategic insights to our customers, helping them to navigate the ever-evolving threat landscape. Thoma Bravo has a demonstrated track record of driving sustainable growth, and we are confident that this investment will enable us to continue delivering premier insights through our TITAN platform and continue to meet – and exceed – our customers' needs."
Noted Thoma Bravo Principal Adam Solomon:
"As digital transformation continues to accelerate, organizations have reached an inflection point in how they approach cybersecurity, recognizing the paramount importance of threat preparedness. Mark and Jason have done a tremendous job establishing Intel 471 at the forefront of the threat intelligence industry, and with strong leadership, best-in-class solutions, and a diverse and growing customer base, the company is well-positioned to capitalize on the market opportunity ahead. We are thrilled to support Intel 471 as it continues to deliver high-value data and insights on threat actors."
Concluded Thoma Bravo VP Annie Wei:
"Intel 471 is providing actionable insights – in real time – to organizations all over the world, and we are excited to apply our industry experience and operational expertise as we partner with the Intel 471 team to bolster threat preparedness capabilities worldwide."