Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 4 May 2023
by Jim Masters • May 4, 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Security Partnership: Cybrary, a cybersecurity skills development platform provider, has launched Cybrary for Teams on Google Cloud Marketplace. This partnership allows cybersecurity teams to access critical skill development and training resources directly through Google Cloud.
2. May 4 is World Password Day: In recognition of World Password Day on May 4, KnowBe4, a security awareness training and simulated phishing platform provider, has launched a new password kit to help end users and organizations practice good password hygiene.
3. Industry Recognition: Optiv, a cyber advisory and solutions specialist, has won “Best Overall Health Care Cybersecurity Solution” in the 2023 MedTech Breakthrough Awards. The annual awards program is devoted to honoring excellence in medical and health-related technology companies, products, services and people.
4. Malware Campaign Disrupted: Meta reports that it took steps to take down more than 1,000 malicious URLs from being shared across its services, which were using OpenAI’s ChatGPT as a lure to propagate about 10 malware families since March 2023. The development comes against the backdrop of fake ChatGPT web browser extensions being increasingly used to steal users’ Facebook account credentials with an aim to run unauthorized ads from hijacked business accounts. (Source: The Hacker News)
5. Ransomware Attack: Dallas, Texas is responding to a ransomware attack that took its Police Department website offline but so far appears to have limited impact on city services for residents, the city said in a statement on May 3. Officials have “confirmed that a number of servers have been compromised with ransomware, impacting several functional areas,” including the police department’s website, the statement said. Officials are working to contain the spread of the malicious software from city computer systems and restore any affected services. (Source: CNN)
6. Funding Boost: Aiden Technologies has secured $4.5 million in its second round of seed funding, the company stated. The co-lead investors are Right Side Capital and Blue Venture Investors. Right Side was also the largest investor in Aiden’s initial round of funding in 2021 when it raised its initial $2.9 million seed funding.
7. Cybersecurity Education: MiC Talent Solutions has debuted its U.S. Department of Labor-approved Registered Apprenticeship Program for three high-demand occupations. MiC Talent Solutions’ apprenticeship program will provide jobseekers and current workers with paid on-the-job training and related coursework for three entry level occupations: Cyber Security Analyst, Penetration Tester, and Information Security Analyst.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)