Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 29 September 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. U.S. Releases Hacker: The U.S. released a high-profile Russian cybercriminal from its custody this week, at least a year before his prison sentence was expected to finish, handing him over to Russian authorities despite long resisting Moscow’s efforts to retrieve him. Alexei Burkov, 31, was placed on a commercial airline flight on Monday after being released from federal prison last month, The Wall Street Journal reports.
2. Russia Arrests Cybersecurity Entrepreneur: Russian authorities have arrested the chief executive of a leading Russian cybersecurity company on suspicion of state treason, sending a chill through Russia’s IT and business sectors, Reuters reports. Ilya Sachkov, 35, who founded Group IB, one of Russia’s most prominent cybersecurity firms, was arrested on September 28, the report says. Group IB said Sachkov was not guilty of the allegations.
3. Elastic Stack Vulnerability: New threat research from Salt Labs details the risk of Elastic Injection attacks. Salt Labs found that nearly every organization using Elastic Stack is affected by this vulnerability, which makes users susceptible to injection attacks. Bad actors can use injection attacks to exfiltrate data and launch denial of service (DoS) events, the researcher says.
4. Ransomware Mitigation – Backup and Disaster Recovery (BDR): Backblaze has announced Instant Recovery in Any Cloud—a solution that’s designed to “make ransomware recovery into a VMware and Hyper-V based cloud easy for any IT team,” Backblaze asserts.
5. Executive Hire – Application Authorization as a Service: Cloudentity has hired VMware veteran Jason Needham as CEO.
6. Executive Hire – Email Security: Egress has hired Mimecast veteran Steven Malone as VP of product management.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Alliances and Integrations
1. Threat Intelligence Sharing: Cyware and Global Resilience Federation (GRF) have announced a joint threat intelligence sharing index initiative. The effort measures intelligence sharing performance benchmarks across ISACs and ISAOs.
2. Secure SD-WAN Service Providers: Fortinet continues to emphasize secure SD-WAN momentum with service providers and MSSP partners. Organizations such as 1&1 Versatel, Acuative, C&W Business Panama, Comcast Business, Granite Telecommunications and Tata Teleservices raised their hands this week to emphasize strong SD-WAN alliances with Fortinet. Fortinet service providers, in turn, now deliver secure SD-WAN services to more than 30,000 customers, the company says.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Innovate 2021 Cybersecurity Summit (October 3-6, Scottsdale, Arizona)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and in-person)
- Exabeam Spotlight21 (October 4-6, Hybrid, virtual and in-person)
- CISA National Cybersecurity Summit 2021 (October 6, 13, 20 & 27, virtual)
- LogRhythm RhythmWorld Security Conference 2021 (October 12-14, virtual)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar