Top 20 Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Security Companies List
The line between MDR (managed detection and response) and traditional MSSPs continues to blur. Plenty of MSSPs now offer MDR services — but Gartner says customers should be careful about pretenders in the market that have incomplete offerings.
To help clarify the situation, Gartner’s 2018 Market Guide for Managed Detection and Response Services points to 20 U.S.-based companies — actually, 21 — that offer credible MDR capabilities. Here’s the U.S. list (sorted alphabetically) along with MSSP Alert’s background on each company.
Related: Many of these U.S.-based companies will likely appear on our Top 100 MSSP 2018 Company List and Research when it debuts in September 2018.
Top 20 MDR (Managed Detection and Response) Security Companies to Know for 2018
1. ADT Cybersecurity of Salt Lake City, Utah
- Branded MDR Service: ADT Cybersecurity
- Background: ADT acquired DATASHIELD in November 2017 to push deep into MDR services and blend the worlds of physical security with network security. Financial terms were not disclosed.
2. Alert Logic Houston of Texas
- Branded MDR Service: Alert Logic ActiveWatch Managed Detection and Response Services
- Background: Alert Logic has MSSP and MSP business partnerships. An example includes Ensono, an MSP that leverages Cloud Defender security-as-a-service (SECaaS) to deliver a managed security service to Amazon Web Services (AWS) customers.
3. Arctic Wolf Networks of Sunnyvale, California
- Branded MDR Service: Arctic Wolf Networks AWN CyberSOC
- Background: Arctic Wolf Networks has turned quite a few heads in the partner ecosystem, including the timely decision to integrate with ConnectWise — a popular business management system among MSPs in the SMB sector. The company raised $16 million in January 2018 to drive R&D, marketing and strategic alliance efforts.
4. Booz Allen Hamilton of McLean, Virginia
- Branded MDR Service: Booz Allen Managed Threat Service
- Background: Booz Allen Hamilton, a Top 100 MSSP for 2017, in October 2017 acquired Morphick, a 40-person cybersecurity firm that offers managed detection and response (MDR) services. Financial terms were not disclosed.
5. Cisco Systems of San Jose of California
- Branded MDR Service: Cisco Active Threat Analytics
- Background: Cisco has a broad cybersecurity portfolio for resellers and service providers. The lineup includes such offerings as Cisco Umbrella (popular with MSPs in the SMB sector). Plus, Cisco just acquired Duo Security for $2.35 billion.
6. Critical Informatics of Seattle, Washington
- Branded MDR Service: Critical Informatics Managed Detection and Response
- Background: Critical Informatics offers both MDR and continuous vulnerability identification (CVI) services. The company raised $2 million in funding led by investment firm East Seattle Partners in early 2018.
7. eSentire of Cambridge, Ontario
- Branded MDR Service: eSentire Managed Detection and Response
- Background: eSentire is serious about building channel partnerships. CEO Kerry Bailey is HP Enterprise’s former worldwide channel chief. Several recent executive hires are driving the partner push, and the company received significant funding in August 2017.
8. Expel of Herndon, Virginia
- Branded MDR Service: Expel
- Background: Expel promotes so-called transparent managed security — and the company attracted $20 million in Series B funding in April 2018. A partnership with Endgame, an endpoint protection platform provider, surfaced in June 2018.
9. FireEye of Milpitas, California
- Branded MDR Service: FireEye Managed Defense
- Background: FireEye overhauled its pricing, go-to-market and channel strategy in early 2018, and showed progress shortly thereafter, according to CEO Kevin Mandia and Executive VP Bill Robbins.
10. Ingalls Information Security of Alexandria, Louisiana
- Branded MDR Service: Ingalls Managed Detection and Response
- Background: The company provides training and mentoring tailored to MSP partners, though we don’t know the partner ecosystem’s reach.
Continue to page two of two for MDR security companies 11 to 21 (sorted alphabetically).