Email attacks have a "significant impact" on today's businesses, according to a study of 660 IT security professionals conducted by application delivery and data protection solutions provider Barracuda Networks.
Key findings from Barracuda's "2019 Email Security Trends" study included:
- 79 percent of IT security professionals indicated they are worried about email attacks and breaches stemming from inside their business.
- 78 percent stated the cost of email breaches is increasing.
- 74 percent said email attacks are having a major impact on their business.
- 66 percent claimed that email attacks have had a direct monetary impact on their business in the past year.
- 43 percent noted their business has been the victim of a spear-phishing attack in the past 12 months.
IT security professionals must find ways to combat phishing, ransomware and other email attacks, Barracuda stated. That way, these professionals can keep pace with email attacks and other evolving cyberattacks.
BitDam, KnowBe4 Launch Email Security Tools
Israeli cybersecurity solutions provider BitDam in April launched a free email security penetration testing tool to help organizations combat email attacks. The tool enables organizations to perform a controlled assessment that includes a series of file-based cyberattacks, as well as receive a report to evaluate their security posture.
Furthermore, security awareness training provider KnowBe4 in April unveiled the Phishing Reply Test (PRT) tool, which helps organizations determine if their employees will respond to phishing emails. PRT tests employees on common scenarios for targeted phishing attacks and provides details about the number of employees who fall victim to these attacks.
As for Barracuda, the company's PhishLine security training awareness tools rank among the best in the world, according to Gartner.