Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Thursday, November 16, 2017:
10. IoT Security Funding: Medigate has raised $5.35 million in seed round funding to develop IoT security solutions for connected medical devices on healthcare provider networks.
9. Crypto Scam?: A second lawsuit was filed this week against the organizers of cybercurrency technology project Tezos, an initiative that raised $232 million to issue a cryptocurrency that does not exist and fund development of a transaction system that has no clear end date, Reuters reported.
8. Crypto Rivals: New iterations of the cryptocurrency are multiplying as disagreements over bitcoin’s design persist and opportunities for making a quick buck prove hard to pass up, Bloomberg reports. The biggest offshoot, called bitcoin cash, appeared in August after a so-called hard fork in the bitcoin blockchain. That spinoff, currently valued at $18 billion, was followed by a less successful fork to create bitcoin gold in October, and now several other planned splits are in the works, the report states.
7. AI Cyberattacks: Cyberattacks are getting smarter. In fact, a growing number of automated cyberattacks leverage artificial intelligence. Ugh.
6. IoT and Camera Security: Regulators cracked down on weak security in IoT cameras several years ago. But many of those holes have yet to be closed, The Washington Post asserts.
5. Russia-led Cyberattacks?: Russian hackers have targeted the UK energy network, telecoms and the media in the past year, according to The Telegraph in the UK. Multiple countries have been mulling legislation that would designate state-sponsored cyberattacks as acts of war...
4. Firewalls: Barracuda Networks has expanded the public cloud functionality for the Barracuda Web Application Firewall and Barracuda NextGen Firewall. The updates support utility-based consumption and automated security controls for DevSecOps workflows. Not by coincidence, Barracuda will demonstrate the new capabilities at the Amazon AWS re:Invent conference later this month in Las Vegas.
3. Privileged Accounts:: CyberArk has upgrade its CyberArk Privileged Account Security Solution to speed platform rollouts and further protect customers against privileged account exploitation anywhere – on-premises, in hybrid cloud environments and across DevOps workflows, the company asserts.
2. Managed Security Services: VirtualArmour International Inc. has finalized a three year recurring revenue contract for the expansion of network and security managed services with an existing client in the retail services sector. The expanded contract has a total value of USD$650,000 over its term. The actual customer name was not disclosed...
1. Fastest Growing: A list of Fastest Growing Consulting Firms includes Top 100 MSSPs like Optiv. Some of the growth is organic, but Optiv has also been busy with acquisitions -- including this week's deal to purchase Conexsys.