Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
- MGM Vishing Attack Revisited: The recent successful vishing attack against resort giant MGM casinos highlighted an overlooked vulnerability facing many companies. To close that gap, Cofense, a provider of email security awareness training and advanced phishing detection and response (PDR) solutions has launched a first-of-its-kind, fully managed and customizable vishing security solution. The Cofense solution trains employees to identify and report vishing threats that bypass a company’s secure email gateways (SEGs).
- Sherweb, Malwarebytes: Cloud marketplace company Sherweb has strengthened its partnership with cybersecurity provider Malwarebytes. ThreatDown, powered by Malwarebytes (formerly Malwarebytes for Business) is built on Malwarebytes endpoint detection and response (EDR) solution and managed detection and response (MDR) service. ThreatDown will now be included in the Sherweb marketplace at a lower price for Sherweb’s MSP partners.
- Identity-Focused Acquisition: Global identity and access management (IAM), security, and network transformation specialist Xalient has acquired Grabowsky BV, a leading digital identity advisory and managed services business based in Benelux. The deal marks Xalient’s expansion into the Benelux region which comprises the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg markets.
- Identity As A Service Offering Launched: Cybersecurity consulting, solutions, and managed services provider GuidePoint Security is launching an Identity as a Service offering, designed to help organizations address the challenges of identity management by optimizing resources, enhancing user experience, and ensuring security. The service can cover part or all aspects of an organization’s identity program, including Access Management, Identity Governance & Administration, Privileged Access Management, and Customer Identity & Access Management. By prioritizing secure and efficient access management, this service supports staffing challenges, streamlines IAM processes, reduces help-desk workloads, and simplifies compliance and audit reporting, the company said.
- U.S. Manufacturing a Top Ransomware Target: GuidePoint Security also released its monthly GRIT Ransomware report, summarizing the trends in November. Total observed victims were up month over month by 29%. U.S. based victims remain the primary target. Manufacturing is the most impacted industry in the U.S., but impacts against healthcare organizations continue to increase.
- Series A Funding: Guardz, a provider of cybersecurity services and insurance to managed service providers, has secured $18 million in Series A round funding. The new funding will be used to accelerate product development to deliver more hyper automated detection and response across all attack vectors in a holistic, cost-effective way, the Tel Aviv, Israel-based company said. In addition, Guardz plans to expand its sales, marketing and customer success operations globally.
- New National Cyber Director Confirmed by Senate: Harry Coker was confirmed as National Cyber Director by the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, filling the vacancy left by Chris Inglis’ departure in February. Coker previously served as executive director of the National Security Agency (NSA) from 2017 to 2019 and worked at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) for 17 years in its Directorate for Digital Innovation, Directorate for Science and Technology, and Director’s area. He is also a lawyer and a Navy veteran. Read the full story at SCmagazine.