Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cyber Incident: NCR determined on April 13 that a single data center outage that impacted some functionality for a subset of its commerce customers was caused by a ransomware incident. NCR immediately started contacting customers, enacted its cybersecurity protocol and engaged outside experts to contain the incident and begin the recovery process.
2. Webinar Focuses on Russia-Ukraine Cyber War: Billington CyberSecurity is hosting a webinar featuring Illia Vitiuk, head of the Department of Cyber and Information Security, Security Service of Ukraine (SSU), entitled “Cyber Updates from Ukraine’s Frontlines.” In this webinar, to be held at 12:30 p.m. ET on April 20, SSU's cyber chief discusses key lessons learned in defending against Russian cyber aggression for the past decade and how Ukraine is leveraging its cyber talent to shore up defenses.
3. Product Launch: Zyxel Networks has launched its WiFi 6E Secure Cloud-managed Router. The router delivers security and high-performance WiFi 6E as a standalone networking solution for small and home offices, or as an easy-to-deploy and manage solution for providing secure access to the office network in work-from-home and hybrid work environments, the company said.
4. Industry Recognition: Guardz announced that it has received 22 notable badges in four distinct categories in the G2 Spring 2023 Reports, including Cloud Data Security, Cloud Email Security, Email Security and Cloud Security. This recognition further cements Guard'z position as a leader providing SMEs a comprehensive cybersecurity and cyber insurance solution, the company said.
5. Product Launch: Cowbell, a provider of cyber insurance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), has launched MooGPT, a collection of new capabilities built using large language models and proprietary data. MooGPT uses reinforcement learning techniques to deliver a real-time conversational experience to appointed agents and active policyholders throughout the policy lifecycle.
6. Product Launch: Qwiet AI has launched of a suite of targeted AppSec and DevSecOps services that help companies address their security function needs without sacrificing time and budget, the company said. The new services from Qwiet AI fall into two categories: time-sensitive services, such as code incident response and merger and acquisition assessments; and foundational services, such as threat modeling and pentesting.
7: Leadership Move: DKBinnovative, a managed IT and cyber defense firm in Dallas, Texas, has appointed Zibeon "ZB" Serrato as its chief strategy officer. Serrato will lead DKB's growth by aligning and strengthening its offerings with the needs of clients. With over 15 years of experience in the MSP/MSSP industry, Serrato brings a wealth of expertise to DKBinnovative, the company said.
8: Malware Alert: A new Android malware named "Goldoson" has infiltrated Google Play through 60 legitimate apps that collectively have 100 million downloads. The malicious malware component is part of a third-party library used by all 60 apps that the developers unknowingly added to their apps. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
9. Cybersecurity Education: As part of an effort to address critical workforce gaps across government, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is gearing up to launch a federal cybersecurity apprenticeship program this summer that will provide underserved veterans with the training needed to safeguard personal data and IT systems from an array of cyber threats. (Source: Nextgov)