Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR) and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers; and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Kevin Mitnick Passes Away: The Mitnick Family and KnowBe4 have announced the passing of Kevin Mitnick, 59, following a 14-month battle with pancreatic cancer. Mitnick, who passed away on July 16, is known as “the world’s most famous hacker.” Mitnick became the chief hacking officer and partial owner of KnowBe4 in 2011.
2. Leadership Move: Kovrr, a provider of cyber risk quantification solutions, has named Andreas Wuchner and Dmitriy Sokolovskiy to its CISO advisory board. Their expertise and industry knowledge will further strengthen Kovrr's position in delivering solutions that meet the critical needs of cybersecurity, risk and compliance professionals globally, the company said.
3. Industry Recognition: Houston, Texas-based MSSP PC.Solutions.Net announced the successful completion of its SOC 2 (Service Organization Control 2) audit. By successfully completing the SOC 2 audit, PC.Solutions.Net has demonstrated its ability to proactively identify and address potential security risks, implement robust security controls and ensure the confidentiality and privacy of client information, the company said.
4. Industrial Cybersecurity Partnership: Ampere Industrial Security, a provider of industrial cybersecurity consulting, and Manifest, a company specializing in software bill of materials management, have formed strategic business alliance. This partnership aims to deliver a blend of services to the industrial cybersecurity market, addressing the increasing complexity and evolving threats faced by industrial organizations.
5. Companies Pledge Security Commitment: AI companies, including OpenAI, Alphabet and Meta Platforms, have made voluntary commitments to the White House to implement measures such as watermarking AI-generated content to help make the technology safer, the Biden administration said. The companies, which also include Anthropic, Inflection, Amazon and OpenAI partner Microsoft, pledged to thoroughly test systems before releasing them and share information about how to reduce risks and invest in cybersecurity. (Source: Reuters)
6. Hacker Alert: A “criminal group” stole confidential information of about 1.2 million Tampa General Hospital patients, including Social Security numbers, the hospital announced this week. The compromised data varies by individual, but may have included names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, health insurance information, medical record numbers, patient account numbers, dates of service and limited information about treatment. The hospital said its medical record system was not accessed. (Source: Yahoo News)
7. Product Launch: Deloitte has expanded its managed extended detection & response (MXDR) cybersecurity solution. MXDR by Deloitte now includes prevention, detection and response for both identity and operational technology.
Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- 2023 International Cybersecurity Championship and Conference (IC3) (July 31-August 4, 2023, San Diego, California)
- Black Hat (August 5-10, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)