Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, January 24, 2018:
8. Crypto Currency Attacks, Scams: Projects that raise funds through “initial coin offerings” (ICOs) are attacked by cyber criminals 100 times a month on average, Reuters reports, underscoring the risks of investing in cryptocurrency ventures online. Separately, a U.S. derivatives watchdog on Wednesday said it has charged My Big Coin Pay Inc and two men over alleged fraud and misappropriation as part of an ongoing virtual currency scam -- the latest in a string of recent actions against cryptocurrencies, Reuters points out.
7. Telco Breach: A data breach at Bell Canada appears to have compromised customer names and email addresses, but no credit card or banking information. Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected, the telco indicated. Hmmm... is that to suggest the impact involves 99,999 people?
6. Video Surveillance: Razberi Technologies has launched a Channel Partner Program for the company's video surveillance platform.
5. Partner Momentum: SonicWall's SecureFirst Partner Program has grown 500 percent since May 2017 -- with more than 21,000 registered partners, 7,700 of which are new to SonicWall, the company says. Chief Revenue Officer Steve Pataky drives the partner efforts. CEO Bill Conner described SonicWall's partner and business strategy in this recent ChannelE2E podcast, co-hosted by CompTIA CEO Todd Thibodeaux.
4. Partner Education: Network security specialist WatchGuard Technologies has unveiled the WatchGuard Learning Center – an advanced learning management system for its worldwide channel community of over 9,000 VARs and MSSPs. The WatchGuard Learning Center is accessible from the WatchGuard Partner Portal, delivering personalized educational paths in sales readiness, channel enablement, and technical trainings through a web-based learning environment that can be accessed at any time and from anywhere, the company says. It sounds similar to SonicWall University, which launched last year.
3. Managed Threat Hunting Services: Endpoint security specialist Carbon Black has launched Cb ThreatSight, which is powered by the Cb Predictive Security Cloud (PSC). Cb ThreatSight provides customers with a managed threat hunting service, which simplifies alert management to prioritize and streamline the validation of important alerts. We'll share more thoughts today.
2. Optiv Acquisition Targets: Optiv, a Top 100 MSSP for 2017, is expanding further into Europe. Potential M&A deals may surface in Britain and beyond. Simon Church, the company's European general manager and executive vice president, is leading the charge. He previously rolled up several MSSPs while serving as CEO of Integralis -- which NTT Com Security later acquired, Reuters notes.
1. DDoS Attack Tests: DOSarrest Internet Security has launched Cyber Attack Preparation Platform (CAPP), which allows customers to launch DDoS attacks on their own Internet assets to see how they’re existing defenses stand up to real world attacks.