Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Breach - Hackers Steal Security Source Code: Hackers have breached Stormshield and stolen some of the network security company's sourcecode, Stormshield has disclosed. The breach involved hackers gaining unauthorized access to Stormshield's technical support portal and associated customer support tickets. Stormshield did not disclose what type of help desk support software the portal leverages.
2. Talent - MSSP Expansion: BlueVoyant has hired former IBM Security Europe Director Gyorgy Robert Racz as president for Europe. The New York-based MSSP "plans to rapidly expand its suite of cybersecurity services to customers and prospects across Europe."
3. Talent - MSSP Software Development: Binary Defense of Stow, Ohio, has hired Ian Kreitenstein as VP of software development. Also, the MSSP has promoted Randy Pargman to VP of counterintelligence and threat hunting, and David White to VP of marketing.
4. Talent - Product Development: FireEye has hired Blackberry and Cisco Systems veteran Bryan Palma as executive VP of FireEye Products. Palma now leads the FireEye product team to "further develop the company’s industry-leading product portfolio and optimize SaaS security controls offerings to more effectively protect modern enterprise environments," the company says. Earlier in his career, Palma was VP of cyber and security solutions at Boeing, VP of cyber security at Hewlett Packard, and PepsiCo’s first CISO.
5. Talent - CISO: Voyager Digital, a crypto-asset broker, has named Daniel Costantino as CISO.
6. Secure Cloud-Managed Network Services: Infoblox has updated its Network Identity Operating System (NIOS) with DoT/DoH support for security, additional cloud integrations and DevOps automation, DDI enhancements, and extended service provider capabilities, the company says.
7. Cloud Detection and Response (CDR): ARIA Cybersecurity Solutions, a CSPi business has announced ARIA CloudADR, the latest offering in the ARIA Advanced Detection and Response (ADR) portfolio. The cloud-based solution provides organizations with "an improved approach to secure their cloud infrastructure and services while also extending protection to their on-premises infrastructures and remote devices," ARIA asserts.
8. Application Security: AppDynamics has announced Cisco Secure Application, which is designed to "simplify vulnerability management, defend against attacks and protect applications," the networking giant says.
9. Motorola Solutions - Video and Managed Security: Motorola Solutions has quietly acquired some managed security services expertise, MSSP Alert previously reported. But during the company's earnings call this week, Motorola Solutions CEO Greg Brown focused more heavily on video security services. Without hyping the managed security services opportunity, Brown indicated that Motorola Solutions will gradually share more and more details about its MSSP emphasis and strategy.
10. Fortinet Updates: Fortinet has announced version 7.0 of FortiOS, the cybersecurity company's flagship operating system. With over 300 new features, FortiOS 7.0 enhances the Fortinet Security Fabric and Fortinet’s ability to deliver consistent security for all networks, endpoints, and clouds, the company asserts.
11. Fortinet Quarterly Earnings Results: The cybersecurity technology company, which partners closely with MSSPs, disclosed Q4 2020 financial results that included:
- Total revenue of $748 million, up 21 percent from Q4 of 2019.
- GAAP net income of $146.7 million, up from $118.2 million in Q4 of 2019.
The results generally exceeded Wall Street's expectations.
12. Proofpoint Quarterly Earnings Results: The security and compliance company announced Q4 2020 financial results that included:
- Revenue of $275.1 million, up 13 percent compared to Q4 of 2019.
- A GAAP net loss of $35.1 million, larger than the $28.7 million GAAP net loss in Q4 of 2019.
The results generally beat Wall Street analyst expectations.
13. Financial Grant - Public School Cybersecurity: IBM has announced in-kind grants valued at $3 million to help strengthen cybersecurity in schools.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partner Program - Cyber Insurance: Cowbell Cyber has unveiled the Cowbell Connect partner program. The program "arms policyholders with comprehensive, closed-loop risk management," the company says.
3. Integrations - SASE and SD-WANs: Bitglass has announced integrations from its SASE technology to SD-WAN providers Aruba, 128 Technology, Fortinet, and Silver Peak.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar