Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. M&A - Application Security: Datadog has acquired Sqreen as part of a security push.
2. Research - NIST Vulnerability Trends: Redscan's latest findings are here.
3. How Hackers Hit U.S. Water Treatment Facility: Windows 7 -- Seriously?
4. Talent - Cyber Leaders: CompTIA has formed an inaugural Executive Advisory Council (EAC) of the CompTIA Information Sharing and Analysis Organization (ISAO). We'll share more details soon.
5. CyberArk Quarterly Earnings Results: CyberArk announced Q4 2020 financial results that included. The identity and security software provider said:
- Total revenue of $144.5 million, up from $129.6 million in Q4 of 2019.
- Net income of $12 million, down from $20.7 million in Q4 of 2019.
CyberArk CEO Udi Mokady pointed to channel partner momentum during the company's earnings calls, but offered no specific details about that partner momentum.
6. Syracuse University Data Breach: The university recently informed about 9,800 of its students, alumni, and applicants of a data security breach that might have exposed their names and Social Security numbers, Campus Security & Life Safety reports.
7. Telecom Cyberattack: Singapore telecom company Singtel has disclosed a cyberattack involving a standalone file sharing system that the company and customers use. The file sharing system is built by Accellion.
8. Android Malware: Lookout has discovered two forms of novel Android surveillanceware -- called Hornbill and SunBird. The Lookout Threat Intelligence team believes these campaigns are connected to the Confucius APT, a well-known pro-India state-sponsored advanced persistent threat group. Hornbill and SunBird have sophisticated capabilities to exfiltrate SMS message content, encrypted messaging app content, geolocation, contact information, call logs, as well as file and directory listings. The surveillanceware targets personnel linked to Pakistan’s military and nuclear authorities and Indian election officials in Kashmir.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Fortinet Accelerate 2021 (March 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar