Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. U.S. Telecom Security Concerns: Outgoing U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Ajit Pai said potential Chinese espionage and threats to U.S. telecommunications networks and internet freedom are the biggest national security issue that regulators will face in the next four years, Reuters reports.
2. Microsoft 365 Security: Varonis Systems has upgraded its data security and analytics platform to further protect Microsoft 365 from cyberattacks and hacks.
3. MrbMiner Crytojacking Warning: Sophos today published a report about MrbMiner, a recently discovered cryptominer that targets Internet-facing database servers (namely, SQL servers) and downloads and installs a cryptominer. More details are available from SophosLabs Uncut, where Sophos researchers regularly publish their latest research and findings.
4. Application Security Statistics: WhiteHat Security, a subsidiary of NTT, has launched AppSec Stats Flash, a monthly podcast and statistics report aimed at providing a more accurate view of the current state of application security.
5. Ransomware Mitigation: Delphix, which focuses on programmable data infrastructure, has upgraded its technology to further prevent partners and customers from ransomware attacks.
6. Talent - Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Services: eSentire has hired Verizon Cybertrust veteran Bryan Sartin as chief services officer. Sartin and his team will build upon eSentire’s MDR services and their Rapid Assist incident response (IR) solutions, the company says. Specifically, Sartin is expanding the company’s cyber investigations, digital forensics, and incident response capabilities whereby eSentire can now provide partners and prospects with end-to-end IR services including breach remediation consulting, the company asserts.
7. Talent - Security Analytics: Devo Technology has hired Ted Julian as senior vice president of productl. The move is one key step in Devo's overall march toward a potential IPO, the company says.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership - Managed Security Services: GTT Communications has enhanced its portfolio of managed security services. Leveraging Fortinet’s technology, GTT can now deliver "more advanced software-defined capabilities, including unified threat prevention (UTP), which integrates a range of security features, such as application control, web filtering, antivirus, data loss prevention, and intrusion detection and prevention," GTT says.
2 Partner Program Expansion: Bitdefender grew its partner ecosystem more than 17 percent in 2020 vs 2019, and its grew its RMM (remote monitoring and management) footprint by more than 140 percent. New partners in the MSP and channel ecosystem include Atera, intY, Pax8 and Synnex, the company says. Bitdefender did not disclose actual dollar figures or financial performance of its partner program.
3. Integration - XDR: Confluera's eXtended Detection and Response (XDR) software now integrates with VMware Carbon Black. Partners gain faster incident analysis and holistic threat identification, Confluera asserts.
4. Partnership - Identity as a Service (IDaaS): NGEN LLC, an MSP, is promoting BIO-key International's identity and access management (IAM) solutions to customers. A recent win involves BIO-key's PortalGuard Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) platform through the Maryland Education Enterprise Consortium (MEEC) contract vehicle, the companies say.
5. Partnership - Cyber Resiliency Services: Accedian and UnderDefense have launched a suite of cyber resiliency services, including 24/7 monitoring of network traffic, to support C-suites, boards, and cybersecurity professionals as they assess their cybersecurity and risk management investments, the companies say.
6. Partnership - Drone Cybersecurity: SparkCognition and SkyGrid are collaborating to "deploy AI-powered cybersecurity directly on drones, protecting them from zero-day attacks during flight," the companies say.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar