Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. MSP Security Strategies: The IT Nation Secure 2021 conference, set for this week in Orlando, should provide plenty of cybersecurity and CMMC compliance news for MSPs, MSSPs and technology solutions providers (TSPs). The event, hosted by ConnectWise, surfaces roughly seven months after ConnectWise acquired Perch Security and StratoZen for SOC (security operations center) and SIEM (security information and event management) services. Among the key developments to watch: Potential software partnerships for the new ConnectWise Recover Complete BDR dashboard. The dashboard's first partner is Acronis.
2. SentinelOne Executive Leadership and IPO: Endpoint security and XDR software company SentinelOne has made the following executive announcements:
- Oracle veteran Siggi Petursson is now VP, customer-centric engineering;
- Avast veteran Martin Matula is VP, engineering and Czech Republic site lead.
3. Partner Program - XDR Business Expansion: Coeficiente Comunicaciones, a Mexican Internet service provider serving more than 30 major cities, has embraced Stellar Cyber's Open XDR platform for MSSPs. Coeficiente becomes the first ISP in Mexico with AI-powered cybersecurity protection embedded in its backbone.
4. Executive Leadership - Managed Cybersecurity and Compliance Provider (MCCP): Abacode's board of advisors now includes Ernst & Young cybersecurity veteran Ben Trowbridge.
5. Executive Leadership - Cyber Insurance: Coalition has hired Salesforce and Splunk veteran Dylan Steele as chief marketing officer (CMO).
6. Cyber Insurance Alliance: Seven cyber insurance providers -- including AIG, AXIS, Beazley, Chubb, The Hartford, Liberty Mutual Insurance and Travelers -- have formed a company called CyberAcuView. The group's combined goal: Pool their data and expertise, and take collective efforts to enhance cyber risk mitigation efforts across the insurance industry, Insurance Journal reports.
7. Research - Ransomware Payments: Roughly 60 percent of companies say they will pay hackers in the event of a ransomware attack, according to Neustar International Security Council (NISC) research. Moreover, one in five respondents said they would consider paying 20 percent or more of their company’s annual revenue. The findings raise a major red flag, considering 80 percent of organizations that way a cyber ransomware demand get attacked for a second time, according to Cybereason research.
8. Ransomware Attacks Texas School District: A ransomware attack compromised Judson Independent School District's information technology systems days before the start of their summer programs at the Texas school district, the San Antonio Express News reports.
9. Norway Blames China for 2018 Cyberattack: The Norwegian Police Intelligence Service (PST) says a cyber espionage group called APT 31 launched a 2018 cyberattack against the state administration in Norway. PST associates APT 31 with the Chinese intelligence service, ScandAsia reports. Officials from China were not quoted in the report.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Black Hat USA (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- CCMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- InfoSec World (October 25-27, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar